Rockwell Automation Certification Program

jerry_smith

Hi folks,

Did anyone of u take the Rockwell Automation Certification?can u share ur experiences on how the exams went thru? iam planning to take them.R they of any good value in the industry? How much experience do i need to think about taking the certification? And do u recommend any good books which can give me a thorough idea on all the requirements for the exams?

Thank u
jerry

Jerry,
Sorry, no I have not had the opportunity to take the Rockwell Automation Certification, or any other Rockwell course. I have talked to guys who have took some of the programming courses. They seem to be good, but fairly expensive.

Its a long drawn out expensive process...no offense Ken or Ron...the paper you get is not good enough to wipe with, as far as employers go.

I know nothing but have an abundance of certification in a variety of areas...AB being one.

I didnt get for employers or any others...I got for ME.

I may always be a ignorant self educated biker but I got papers...some certify me totally.......

The papers dont make you good.....you do.

rsdoran said:
The papers dont make you good.....you do.

Good point. I've gotten quite a bit of training from Rockwell but it was usually out of necessity. I had been an electrician for 15+ years and had never used a computer or knew what a PLC was. I went to work for a company as an electrician and within a year of being there was told "we just got a new project and you've got to learn to use a computer, program a PLC5, and an HMI". It was tough at first but was a great opportunity to learn. It's not a matter of getting some kind of degree or certification, although those are not bad, but a matter of desire and being willing to tackle a challenge. I think most employers are more interested in results and not titles or labels.

RS Certification

Hello Everyone,

Valid points have been made.

Certification is important to those who need to have some sort of verification, proof of ability, etc. The quality systems in some organizations require a form of certification to satisfy their procedures. So, for those programmers that are in need of a collection or summation of experiences, certification may be just the ticket.

Rta53 writes of his 15+ years of electrical experience. His experience carrys a certain weight when considering programming ability, as his employer surely recognized. When asked, rta53 says, "I am an electrician", and people nod and show him the machine. Someone else may have to provide more proof before gaining access to the shop floor.

Of course, the real attraction is a seasoned programmer, who brings his or her expertise to the table.

"Knowledge is Power"

Norbert

I've taken a few of the Rockwell training courses and I've found them to be pretty good. Depending on the instructor. The problem I noticed was if you are in the class with a group of people who have no previous knowledge or are only interested in a "day off from work" you may not learn too much for your money. I pay for my own classes so I realize the costs. Don't be shy to interupt the teacher when he or she is discussing their car troubles or what they had for lunch last Tuesday... In this field experience is the most important tool, but papers do count for something when someone doesn't know your abilities first hand. You'll learn stuff much faster with an instructor helping you then you would on your own, but eventually you'll have to dive on in. Get a PLC starter kit from AB and play with it during and after the course to get some hands on practise.