Communication error between younger PLC guy and older PLC

I mean, i'm not against that idea, but this place is budgeting/scheduling an upgrade for one of its PLC 5 systems at the end of this year (Yes ONE of, we have 3 more large PLC 5 systems), the SLC 500's will probably have to wait a bit.

Upgrading the SLCs are pretty easy from memory just make remote IO and put the project in a timed scan class. (from memory it's been awhile since upgrading those).

I just didn't like the older platform because the old systems had INT and a weird skip around 8 and 9 bits or another bit jump. This would always cause issues with troubleshooting and cable wiring numbers.

For example someone looking at ####.17 wire but the code was now .15 or something. For the effort to upgrade it would have saved a lot of time to rip it out and upgrade to newer stuff.

Cable 1784-PCM5/B (I didn't know this thing existed, partner knew about it it plugs into a magic removable port on the right side of the laptop, haven't tried it but I think you could use it with an anaconda)

RSLinx driver AB_KT-1 no configuration necessary

That would do it. Haven't heard mention of those in quite a while, they're long discontinued afaik.

If you aren't using the RS-232 port to connect to an external device I'd recommend changing it to DF1 so that in future you can connect with just a plain null modem cable. To change the communication setup open 'Channel Configuration' from the navigation pane (it's under 'Controller'). The RS-232 port is Channel 0.

I just didn't like the older platform because the old systems had INT and a weird skip around 8 and 9 bits or another bit jump. This would always cause issues with troubleshooting and cable wiring numbers.

For example someone looking at ####.17 wire but the code was now .15 or something. For the effort to upgrade it would have saved a lot of time to rip it out and upgrade to newer stuff.

Sounds like the octal addressing of PLC5 (0-7, then 10-17), I don't recall SLCs having that issue.

You can also reset the CPU back to factory default and then the RS232 will start to work again, you will need to download the program again, the reset will clear the program

I believe this is correct. You are quite right that the cable number given would connect to that port, mea culpa.

Since it sounds like the RS-232 is indeed configured for DH-485, then resetting to factory defaults is likely to be your best bet (assuming you don't care about any program currently on the processor), as that should reset the RS-232 port to DF1.

See here for instructions on how to do so -- in short, disconnect the battery and then short the VBB and GND connections on the controller board to drain the capacitor.

Awesome, that was the last question I had

You can also reset the CPU back to factory default and then the RS232 will start to work again, you will need to download the program again, the reset will clear the program

Just be careful not to overwrite the communication settings when you download without having changed the programmed ones first or you'll be back where you started...

Don't let the failure of the Auto Config for the serial cable discourage you. In all the years of doing serial I could never get RSLinx to Auto Config using a USB-Serial cable. But if I set the Baud etc right it would still work.

Don't let the failure of the Auto Config for the serial cable discourage you. In all the years of doing serial I could never get RSLinx to Auto Config using a USB-Serial cable. But if I set the Baud etc right it would still work.

JaxGTO, Not sure if you have the need... but if you do PM me your address and I will send you a cable that will auto config, all of the ones I sell do.