FTV ME not seeing tags from PLC

HoldenC

I have a currently running PLC (Control Logix) with a computer connected running FTV ME Station for the HMI. Everything is connected via ethernet.

We have a 2nd PLC (Compact Logix) that supports ethernet that is only connected its own HMI.

Today, I changed the ip address of the Compact Logix, and its HMI to get them on the same network as our ControlLogix processor.

Everything shows up under RsLinx as being good.

I go into FTV Studio and Studio and browse for the online tags that I want to monitor from the newly connected PLC and add them to my current display.

When I create the new application and load it back to the computer running FTV ME Station, everything works, but the added tags are only showing as asterisk.

However, if I run the program from my laptop that I created the display on using my own version of FTV ME Station, everything works fine.

The only difference is my laptop is running version 12, and the other is running version 11. Could this be the issue ? I

I suspect you didn't change the "shortcut" or whatever FTV is pointing to after you changed the IP address of the PLC.

In FTME, look under Communication and there's two tab. One tab is for your PC's path to the PLC, the other is for the Panelview's path to the PLC. in most cases, they should be identical if your PC is on the same network in which case you can just do a copy. After you made this change, save and recreate the run time.

I used the same created Runtime for both computers.

The ControlLogix reads to both computers running the runtime file. However, the newly added CompactLogix is only being read by one of the computers.

Both computers are running FTV Machine Edition Station. One is version 11 and one is version 12.

I double checked the shortcuts and everything appears to be correct.

I had to diagram this out to understand it better.

When you load the runtime, it does ask if you want to override the existing communication setting. Make sure you say YES.

You can always update the ME firmware to V12 and see if that helps.

yes, I can ping the PLC from the computer that isn't reading the values.

I actually plugged both computers into the same Allen Bradley switch. They were both running the same program at the same time.

Only other thing I can think of is that the PLC that I cant read values from had a program that was Source Protected. I had to load a file into RsLogix to view any of the routines.

You did not state which platform of CompactLogix controller you are using. That being said it is possible that you are exceeding the CIP connection to your CompactLogix. Try connecting the FTV ME Station PC that is having issues directly to the CLX ethernet port and see if it can ping and communicate normally.

Check your license. Some ME application licenses will only talk to one PLC.

I was trying to look into this, but I cant seem to find where Rockwell limits you on processors. I saw where they limit you to the number of displays.

This may be my issue however. Im trying to see if I can locate the documentation from the software.

I was trying to look into this, but I cant seem to find where Rockwell limits you on processors.

See the 'Screen Count / Controllers / Alarms' line in the sheet here. For Panelview Plus 6 the 'Compact' and for Panelview Plus 7 the 'Standard' is limited to a single controller.

See the 'Screen Count / Controllers / Alarms' line in the sheet here. For Panelview Plus 6 the 'Compact' and for Panelview Plus 7 the 'Standard' is limited to a single controller.

Would those limits still be valid if I'm not using a PanelView. Im using a computer running FTV ME Station ?

Im running Station on my laptop as well, and it connects just fine.