What OS

Peter_F800

I'm new to PLCs and am starting a project and have some questions regarding operating systems and which to install.

I have 3 pieces of software Studio 5000, FT View ME and FT View RT ME.

I have two pieces of hardware
Laptop Win 10
Server No OS at the moment

I want to install Studio5000 and FT View ME on the laptop and ME RT on the server. Plan is to be able to remote desktop or VNC unto the server and use ipad or any computer as a HMI.

Any recommendations as to operating systems?
I was planning on running a Windows XP virtual machine on the Windows 10 laptop and running another XP virtual machine on the server with Ubuntu as the host.

Is XP to old should I move to 7? My preference is to use Retail legit software and XP is cheap.

If it is a recent revision of studio 5000 (I think 21+ or so? Whenever it started being called logix designer) it will not be compatible with windows xp. You have to at least have windows 7. If you have earlier versions(back when it was still called RSLogix 5000) xp sp3 should work fine. For the server, you are setting up the runtime client to remote into, correct? If so then any server os (windows 2008, 2012, etc) should be fine, but it all depends on your version of FTview ME.

Here is the link for OS compatibility with rockwell software. Just click the tab that says "Operating System" and it will display a matrix of operating system compatibility.

Link: http://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/ProductReplacement.aspx?crumb=101

Back
Top Bottom