Interns using PLCTalk to learn?

MitsM83

Hello experts,

I have a couple of Interns that are going to a community collage for Industrial Engineering and Robotics, while working at my plant a few days a week.

I will be teaching them what I can about the trade and specifically PLCs/ Automation. I will have one directly under me and another assigned to a different area but for some reason he was told I am the dude he seeks for the Automation.

My question,

How does the community feel about me showing them this Forum? So when I am not available, or I do not know the answer they can learn from the best.

The latter of the two being more likely! :unsure:

Happy to help in any way I can! That seems to be the attitude of most of the regulars on the forum (y)

As long as you don't assign them the task of programming traffic lights or parking lot gates....
Seriously, if they explain what they understand and what they don't, tells us what they've tried and what did and didn't work, we'll be happy to help. Tell them also to be aware that someone may just send them out to fetch a metric adjustable wrench or a left hand screwdriver.

I seen a new guy get sent to the stockroom to get a left handed torque wrench and spotted paint. Just so happens the plant manager and production supervisor were talking to the stockroom clerk. He came back smiling ear to ear. They told him to tell us that all the left handed torque wrenches were getting calibrated and they we're fresh out of spotted paint.

Last edited:
That's what it is here for no (y)

Well yes... I think so, but it looks mainly to be people who are experienced and stuck or just polling for opinions on device failures. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a major objection to it. I know a lot of regulars apear to be teachers as well. Some even have online course or PLC boot camp YouTube series.

Glad you guys are willing to help,

I will make sure they get a run down of how and what to post.

And no asking for homework for a $49 donation!!!;)

Yes - a can of striped paint and a packet of emery sparks were the go in the 1960's.

Piston return springs and new flints for the spark plugs were what the newbies were sent to buy...

and my dad was sent around all the local bakeries to borrow a pikelet bodger ....

#whenIwerealad

It would be better if interns came here to answer questions or at least research the problems others have here and discus them. Engineer wanabees should show some intuitive gift for solving problems ( the knack ) or be able to do research to find that answers.

I agree with that, I will spend most the time showing how I find the answers and how I learned the stuff they didn't show me in class.

Like how to know when your being sent on a fools errand! :ROFLMAO:

I want to let them know that after you have tried to wing it, then read the manual and examples, then try three more times, actually read the manual and use the examples if you still have trouble there is a place you can go. ( I will try to stop them from winging it but after all they are 18 year old men!!)

Being an intern that uses the forum quite regularly when I am working, It is genuinely an excellent place to learn and grow in the automation field. Its also excellent to just browse when there is some downtime, just to fill my noggin with anything I could maybe use in the future.