Help needed in selecting a suitable PLC for demonstration purposes

arbj

Hi,

I frequently demonstrate automation product (that we make) to various customers.

The system uses an AB7007 Anybus gateway that connects to the customers PLC (usually Rockwell or ControlLogix), the automation product connects to the Anybus gateway via RS485 (using proprietary serial ASCII protocol).

PLC<< EthernetIP >>Anybus Gateway<< RS485 >>Automation Product

I was thinking the demonstration would be more effective and instructive, if I use a small demo PLC (Rockwell or ControlLogix) to connect to the Anybus gateway.

The customer can try out various programs, to interact with the automation system, also providing a hands-on experience of the system.

Could anyone suggest a suitable Rockwell PLC that is cheap but has Ethernet IP connectivity? Will a MicroLogix 1100 be suitable ?

Also do I have to buy the RSLogix Micro?? I have downloaded the free RSLogix Micro version, including the RSLogix Emulate 500. Can this free version be used instead??

thanks
a

Last edited:
MLX software is free for 1100, but if you have pre-written code in CPX/CLX this will need re-written for 1100 as it's 500 not 5000 platform. There is a breakout connector for the MLX 1763-NC01, use the RJ45 for ethernet but note the MLX ethernet doesn't have the same CIP capabilities as the CPX/CLX range.

I would highly recommend using a CompactLogix processor, with the 1769-L16 probably being the most affordable. Most of your customers will probably be using CompactLogix or Controllogix. Also, the Micrologix does not support implicit messaging, which i assume your device uses. In my opinion, using a Micrologix1100 would be a poor demonstration of how your device works and may hinder you instead of help.

The free version is only for MLX 1100. There is no free version of Studio 5000. However, off the top of my head the MLX 1100 supports 232, 422 and 485 from it's comm port, so a possibility is to take out the AnyBus gateway from your demo.

I second the L16 advice, I could get a new but surplus L16 (from the likes of Radwell/PLCcentre) and the "compactlogix only" version of Studio 5000, both for less than £1000.

I think the 5069-L306ER + 5069-RTB64-SPRING is the cheapest Logix5000 processor at the moment, at least list price. I agree with others that a Logix5000 processor is likely what your customers use most. This means either a compactLogix or ControlLogix. If you want to cover all bases, you could get a Micro820, which has free software and is not of the Logix family. Some of your more price conscious OEMs might be using these.

Thanks everyone for the reply.

I am thinking I should start with the Micro820, and then after sufficient experience I should then go CompactLogix or ControlLogix.

Do I need to buy the RSLogix software as well for the Micro820 ? Also I suppose it could be connected to the Anybus gateway?

thanks
a

Why not implement the ASCII protocol directly in the PLC ?
It just needs a serial port that supports ASCII.

Yes that is a possibility.We are keeping things interchangeable as some customers require PROFIBUS-DP, CC-Link etc.

By providing the compatible gateway we can address these customers.

The purpose of the Rockwell PLC is to serve as a 'trainer/demo' for customers who would like to try out the various functions on the automation system.

I found this on Radwell.
https://www.radwell.com/en-US/Buy/ALLEN BRADLEY/ALLEN BRADLEY/2080-LC50-24QVB

This has some IOs and a built in Ethernet IP port. Is this suitable for connecting to the Anybus gateway ? Also is it possible to use the free version of the RSlogix software?

I checked compatibility with Rockwell site. The results are attached.

thanks
a

No for the Micro850 series you will need CCW software... but its also from from Rockwell

We sell the 850's if you looking https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-micro800/

If you are looking at a CompactLogix and need the software look at PN 9324-RLD200ENE this is the mini version and will save you some money... it will not work with the Controllogix but works with the Compact https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qr/9324-qr001_-en-p.pdf

Thanks geniusintraining for the help. I have bookmarked the link, it will come in use for me.

Any idea how much the CCW software costs?

Does the Anybus device need to be setup as an Ethernet/IP device ? I.e. it communicates via an input/output interface ?

If so, Micrologix or Micro800 will not work. They only support messaging over Ethernet/IP.

edit: The smalles AB PLC that supports 'real' Ethernet/IP is this one:
1769-L16ER-BB1B
And then you need RSLogix5000 MINI to program it.

Last edited:
Does the Anybus device need to be setup as an Ethernet/IP device ? I.e. it communicates via an input/output interface ?

If so, Micrologix or Micro800 will not work. They only support messaging over Ethernet/IP.

How about this?? I have never used one

https://www.plccable.com/allen-brad...icro800-rs232-485-serial-port-plug-in-module/

arbj said:
Any idea how much the CCW software costs?
They have two versions one is free not sure how much the other cost