Cognex Insight- Does Cognex have software that log images and display live ? ?

Cydog

Good Morning ,

We are getting ready to install some Cognex Vision systems in our plant.
I was wondering how we can possibly do the following...…

- Does Cognex have software that will record images when they fail ?

- Does Cognex have software that you can use , such as FactoryTalk View , that
staff can see live images from the cameras , or can you integrate Cognex
into a FactoryTalk ME application to see images ?

Also , do you have any success stories that you can share that you were able to accomplish something like this ?

Thanks so much in advance ,

I think most of their cameras use In-Sight Explorer. It can be downloaded from their website. Been a while since I've used it. My version is 5.7.4. Not had a lot of experience with it but you can monitor the camera view and it does record images.

- Does Cognex have software that will record images when they fail ? yes, their software will store ALL images, pass or fail onto a pc with the software installed.

- Does Cognex have software that you can use , such as FactoryTalk View , that
staff can see live images from the cameras , or can you integrate Cognex
into a FactoryTalk ME application to see images ?

Cognex has software that you can install on a pc and configure the system.
yes, the software will store all images, pass or fail on the pc with the software installed.
yes, you can use the software to see the live images, but you have to be online with the unit to see the images.

Also , do you have any success stories that you can share that you were able to accomplish something like this ?

I used the software to inspect parts for missing components (30-40 / min) and part sorting (50-60 / minute).
I used ACS who was the local rep.
the following is things you must remember for any camera system.
1. the parts you give them to take with them are tested under ideal conditions, NOT your factory conditions.
2. your pares are dirty, greasy, scratched, and so on.
3. your factory lighting is not what they test with.
4. some dealers will promise you the moon for a sale ! been there, done that. my rep was honest in every way, he would say he can or cannot do it.
5. you need ideal parts (as close to it as possible) to set up the software. KEEP THESE PARTS CLEAN, IN CONTAINERS THAT HAVE FOAM SO THEY DON'T FGET SCRATCHED !these are the masters and will be used until the product is no longer made as a pass fail test.
6. YOU NEED PARTS THAT WILL FAIL ! 100 possible defects means 100 defective parts. these will also need to be kept as masters. your customer will require proof the system works.
7. Have the vendor quote set up time in your plant ! 1-2 days or more.
8. you will need to go to their school - 1 week. you will learn most everything.
9. you will need onsite training ! nothing will be perfect when the system is put in. you will need to tweek the system !!!!
10. make the vendor prove to you how small a camera pixel is !!
this is where they can sell you something that will not work.
11. production rate matters !

I cannot say if you can see the images on a factory talk type screen.

others will also chime in, this is my experience.
James

There is an Cognex ActiveX Display Control that can be used to with FT ME to see inspections etc. Have had some reasonable success with it in the past. Mostly using SE now so we can just run full In-Sight Explorer to monitor and modify inspections as required.

Cognex also has a web server which allows viewing of images using an html interface, available with some HMI;s I'm not sure about Factory Talk, your Cognex rep should be able to find a list of compatible devices.

Cognex also has the VisionView. Basically their HMI that can display the inspection real time. Also has capabilities of making adjustments without the software and a laptop.

Cognex also has salepeople with engineer contacts that will try to do anything requested to sell their system.