Build me your ultimate work laptop

Whatever you buy, get an extra display, extra ram, extra fans, extra keyboard, extra graphics card, and after all the software is installed and working, one CLONED hard drive.

I always clone the drives on new computers, once they are set up, and save the cloned drive.
On my laptop, I run Acronis and it does a sequential backup everyday and a complete once a week.... automatically.
This has been a lifesaver more than once.

Back to the OP:

No hard drive or SATA solid state.

My new desktop (which isn't going to fit on anyone's desk and is sitting on the floor) has M.2 solid state drives that are like 64,000 times faster and barely bigger than a memory card.

Plus if you could squeeze this 8 core 5.2GHz CPU in a laptop that would be nice.

I agree. I'm skeptical of all this state of the art, packed to the gills talk. I think, once you get over a 1000 for a machine within the last 5 years, the software we are running on them is more of the limitation than hardware. You're only going to get FTV Studio to load so fast...

Another factor is users plugging the machine up with a bunch of garbage software and services. Give someone the best hardware, they can bog it down with garbage software.
That's not what meant. I meant I am skeptical thst there is any difference in processors between Dell, HP and lenovo for a giving price point. They all have different grades of laptops.

You can definitely tell the difference in storage drive technology. Processors and RAM only matter if you are running VMs or Multiple VMs like I am.

There is a lot more to a computer than just paper specs though display quality, keyboard quality and track quality. If you run a dock having a Thunderbolt 3 dock over a USB 3 dock makes a big different. My USB 3 dock bottle necks my Dock NIC and the refresh rate for my 3 1080P monitors.

Futher you can also tell the difference in strength of the laptop case between custumer grade and business grade laptops. I have never had a customer grade laptop go more than a year without the case starting to break from normal use. But I have a Dell Latitude that is 6 years old and the only have one break from where I dropped it on a concrete floor. Still a great laptop for most things I need it just can't compete with the new machines in terms of running multiple VMs.

I loved my precision m5510 but I wanted to go 17" and the only dell on sale was the alienwarem17. And that made me worry a bout battery life.
I ended up getting an LG gram 17. Super light 17" laptop with good battery life. Got it up to 40gb ram and 1.5tb of NvmE m2 sdd. We will see how well it lasts the 3 years of the precision (which is still my backup) but for the price I could not complain

My Dell M4800 is the best controls laptop I've ever owned. I don't think they make the M4800 anymore, but I would find whatever it's successor is. They are built like tanks and made to upgrade. The only downside is they feel extremely heavy compared to the new all-plastic designs.

My Dell M4800 is the best controls laptop I've ever owned. I don't think they make the M4800 anymore, but I would find whatever it's successor is. They are built like tanks and made to upgrade. The only downside is they feel extremely heavy compared to the new all-plastic designs.

We used the M4800 at work, bought them refurbished. (replaced older tough books)

I liked it so well I found a great ebay deal on an M6800 with the 17" screen and love it. $250 with no HDD. Install 2 SSD's and running great.

I've been happy with my Dell Inspiron 15 7559. I would just go with a quad core i7 CPU, get 16 or 32 GB ram and make sure you can have at least 1 TB SSD with a discrete card, and you will be set.

I've been happy with my Dell Inspiron 15 7559. I would just go with a quad core i7 CPU, get 16 or 32 GB ram and make sure you can have at least 1 TB SSD with a discrete card, and you will be set.
Have you ever used a business grade laptop?

I am using my old Dell Inspiron 15 7570 right now (As I drown my new Lenovo P15 on my last service trip :cry:šŸ™ƒ) This Inspiron is cheap garbage. I can't wait to get my P15 back from the service center.

Side note: ALWAYS ALWAYS buy the accidental damage protection plan, saved my butt.

Last edited:
Have you ever used a business grade laptop?

I am using my old Dell Inspiron 15 7570 right now (As I drown my new Lenovo P15 on my last service trip :cry:šŸ™ƒ) This Inspiron is cheap garbage. I can't wait to get my P15 back from the service center.

Side note: ALWAYS ALWAYS buy the accidental damage protection plan, saved my butt.

I've used a couple, and three 7559 is by far my favorite as far as power and battery life go. I've carried this thing for 5 years. I also had a 6" water main burst in a pump house and the laptop made it. I quickly removed the battery, dried it with a heat gun, and was back in action in a couple hours.

Is it the toughest laptop around? Nope, but I don't beat the hell out of it because I'm generally mindful of it, just like any other tool I own.

I just bought one... I have been looking and ended up with below

Dell Precision 5540 15.6" laptop i9-9880H, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Quadro T2000

For what its worth I love it