Configure Siemens S7-300 as I-Device

nagahiro

Good Morning!!
I am trying to configure a siemens s7-300 cpu as an I-Device, to read the data on a GE RX3I PLC. Do you need to do some ladder programming on the siemens plc to move the data to the i-device transfer area?

Good Morning!!
I am trying to configure a siemens s7-300 cpu as an I-Device, to read the data on a GE RX3I PLC. Do you need to do some ladder programming on the siemens plc to move the data to the i-device transfer area?

I don't have any info on the GE side, but on the Siemens end, all you need to do is copy the data into the defined IO areas. As with any IO, if the IO addresses for the I_device is outside the defined process image, you need to use peripheral reads & writes.

Just to be clear, the 300 is the I-device, and the GE is the PN controller?

I don't have any info on the GE side, but on the Siemens end, all you need to do is copy the data into the defined IO areas. As with any IO, if the IO addresses for the I_device is outside the defined process image, you need to use peripheral reads & writes.

Just to be clear, the 300 is the I-device, and the GE is the PN controller?

Yes, the s7-300 CPU314C-2 PN / DP will be the i-device and will send the data to the GE RX3I PLC.
Below are the images of the configurations performed on the PLC's.

siemens.png ge.png

Hello mk42 and nagahiro: Sorry for jumping in. I may have to do a similar setting and I need to understand mk42's statement about peripheral reads and writes. In the use case explained by nakahiro will the program below send 16#A5A5 to the GE Profinet controller?

20201203_Idevice.jpg

Good Morning! I haven't been able to get to this part yet ... Have you managed to communicate between PLC Siemens and PLC GEe Rx3i (Emerson)?

Yes, the s7-300 CPU314C-2 PN / DP will be the i-device and will send the data to the GE RX3I PLC.
Below are the images of the configurations performed on the PLC's.

It looks like you created the Idevice correctly on teh Siemens end. If you exported the GSD and imported into the GE software then you should be well on your way.

Are you having errors?

Hello:

I do not have a GE controller, but I used a Codesys Profinet controller as a non-Siemens controller. After exporting the GSDML file from the TIA and registering it on the Codesys engineering environment, I get the Profinet communication, but the status of the process value on the Codesys side says "BAD", even thought the Wirehark trace shows no such error. Below is the screenshot of what I have here.

S7-1200_idevicetest.jpg

Hello:

I do not have a GE controller, but I used a Codesys Profinet controller as a non-Siemens controller. After exporting the GSDML file from the TIA and registering it on the Codesys engineering environment, I get the Profinet communication, but the status of the process value on the Codesys side says "BAD", even thought the Wirehark trace shows no such error. Below is the screenshot of what I have here.

Good Morning!! With the PLC Rx3i CRU320 from GE / Emerson, the same problem occurred, I perform the installation of GSDML on the plc, configure the outputs, but do not exchange data. On the Siemens PLC, it recognizes the profinet connection, but the data exchange does not take place.

It's working!!!!

Hi Nagahiro: Not sure what the case for the GE PLC is. I have realized that in order to bring the IO data from the Codesys Profinet controller (master) to the PLC application, it is not enough to map the IO to a variable. You have to actually do something with the variable in the PLC application. Take a look at the screen below. I am reading the data sent from the S7-1200's iDevice to the Codesys PLC application! Can you try something similar with the GE program?

S7-1200_idevicetest_1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi AlfredoQuintero

could you share your TIA side project to see how you configure the I device because I got the same type of request and have some error when configuring it.

thanks