Pressure switch readout on HMI screen

ziyaddin2015

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,
I was asked to see if I can get air pressure readings from lid weld station to an HMI ? I am not sure if this is even possible. Not sure where to start. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Panel view plus 1000
Controllogix L72

If the device that is measuring air pressure has wires coming out of it and the pressure measurement is a numeric value and not simply an on/off state, then chances are pretty good that the reading can make its way to the HMI. The odds get even better if it is already wired to the PLC.

But we'll need a bit more information than you've provided. The manufacturer and model number of the pressure sensor would be a good start. Also, do you have licenses for the PLC and HMI programming software?

Last edited:
When I Googled the part number you provided, I got a catalog. According to the catalog, that part number is a flow sensor with a 1 - 5 volt analog output corresponding to a flow range of 2 - 200 liters per minute. It is rated for up to 0.75 MPa, but it measures flow, not pressure.

Looking at the data sheet this is a digital output so you cannot display it on the screen, the setting is done on the unit & gives a digital output not analogue.

Pressure switch read out on HMI

Yes, we do have a spare combo type input/output analog card part number 1794-ie4x0e2. It is located 10 meters away from the unit. Not sure if distance matters?

06C1053F-EFBC-463F-B93B-482B9CD8D1D7.jpeg

One thing nobody has actually mentioned is that as you have a digital pressure sensor, you could display a digital symbol on the HMI so as to display within it's pressure range or not, however, if you need the actual pressure in lb, mbar, bar then it would need to be analogue.

The image of that sensor on McMaster looks a lot like a prosense, same one that automation direct sells. Most of the ones I’ve used in a discrete manner still have an analog out. By chance does it have an orange wire come off the cable? If so this is the analog out, if it has that then it has everything you need to do what you want.