Crimson 3.1 screen images for manual

ealan

Hi.
I was wondering if there's a way to capture a screen image of a running Crimson 3.1 program. I am trying to make a manual for my project. In the past it looks like people just took photos of the screens. These are ok, but a bmp or png file looks better.

I found PrintScreenToFile...looks promsing. I will have to figure out how to access the flash card....

Maybe I have answered my own question??...

Set up remote access, then use a web browser to access the HMI, grab screen captures of the browser. Make sure you set the remote access quality to a high level to avoid compression artifacts.

dumb question but where is 'remote setup'.

So I found 'Web Server Properties' in the 3.1 user manual, page 211. Chapter 13.2 and that screen shows a "Web Server" item in the navigation pane.
But I do not see that item. I have 'Communications, Data Tags, Display Pages, Programs, Data Logger and Security'.

Also for other things missing? I wanted to write some date to the flash SD card. I found the normal files commands, but when I tried 'CreateFile' in my background task, the translation failed, saying "Unknown function 'CreateFile'".

I forgot to mention I am running a CR10000400000210 ( I might not have all the zero's correct.)

I haven't used the CR1000 range. I went on to the RedLion website where it describes the CR range and one section stands out:
https://www.redlion.net/products/in...i-operator-panels/connected-cr1000-and-cr3000
Remote Monitoring and Control
The web server available on the CR3000 HMI offers a full-screen display option, mobile-responsive pages, HTTPS operation with certificate provisioning and features like HTTP redirect, CSS and Java Script support.
which I guess means the CR1000 doesn't have that facility.
I don't know if scripting is supported on the CR1000 range, though a section in supported devices in the Reference Guide suggests that it is. Post your file creation code just in case it is a typo.

int success = 0;
int hFile = 0;

ScreenCaptureMode = 1;
success = CreateFile("/testfile.txt");
if (success == 1) {
hFile = OpenFile("/testfile.txt", 1);
}

OpenFile was not found either.

Last edited:
Your program compiles fine if you try it set up using a CR3000, so the conclusion must be that you aren't allowed to access the SD card with the CR1000.

I ran into this issue last year. Red Lion told me that "... the CR1000 series do not support data logging to cards and any other file operations. The data logging section is for trending since the trend viewer uses internal memory to trend data."

It would have saved me (and probably OP) several hours of frustration if they had included a message stating this fact on the data logging page.

It has been my experience that vendors don't do a very good job of publicizing what their products don't do.

I think they mention that the CR1000 series doesn't support data logging, but then they let you create a log file and trend it on the screen. It will only trend as many data points as it can hold in memory, and won't save them to the memory card though. I ran into this with the Kadet series which the CR1000 is marketed at replacing.

What size is your HMI? I have a 7" on the bench we could use to get some screenshots.

Another option is to build your project in Crimson 3.0 and run it through the emulator to get screenshots. When 3.1 first came out, I still did all development in 3.0 just so I could test and debug in the emulator, then import the database into 3.1. You can't import a 3.1 file into 3.0 nor can you export from 3.1 to the 3.0 format. And you can't even copy and paste tags between the two versions, so rebuilding it in 3.0 is the only way I know of to use the emulator. Allegedly, Red Lion is going to revive the emulator. I see it is available in 3.2 but I believe it is broken. I have not actually used 3.2 for a real project yet, so I haven't tried too hard to get it's attempted emulator to work.