Red Lion Crimson 3.0 - You are mapping a Bit to a numeric tag

Tanquen

I'm getting a error about mapping a bit to a numeric tag and it should be using a flag tag but I am. They even have the little flag icons. ???

Untitled.png

What is the PLC and can you show us more of the Tag definition screen. Even better if you can upload at least part of the Crimson database.

The PLC is an Allen-Bradley. There is the same bug(?) on there existing Crimson 3.1 application that is in production.

Untitled.png

Is the tag an internal bit, input or output? Should look like attached.

It seems like you mapped to the alias instead of the address.

sorry;)
On the capture, I should have had source as plc1. I redid it after the bit level pic.

Capture.PNG bit level.PNG

Last edited:
I'm confused about what you're trying to do here. You have a data tag called AAL10516 but it appears that you're trying to map a tag with the same name to it? You have the Source set to PLC10 which would be an external device, so the text in the source field should be in the address format of that device. What you have there doesn't look like an Allen-Bradley PLC address to me.

Could you post a screen shot of your communication for plc10.

I cannot duplicate what you have with an Allen Bradley driver.

If i select a tag, it changes the source to Tag.

The driver type is Allen-Bradley Native Tag Addressing, the tags names are the same in the PLC and it is working on their existing Crimson 3.1 application and it gives the same error message.

Just wondering why it tells me I'm not linking the Crimson Flag tag to a Bit/Bool in the PLC when I am? Maybe it's looking at the address and thinks "FSL40020" is not a bit type address. So when you work with a PLC that can use tags you get this error?

It is kind of odd that I have to create the PLC tag or address when I link it. Is there no setting to just pass it through to the PLC using the existing Crimson tag name and type?

Untitled.png

In communications select Plc10.
Under Tag Names select Manage and see what your tag data type is.

??? That is the pic in my last post. Type is Bit as Bit.

Still seems odd that the error message is telling me I'm trying to use a Bit reference and I am but it then says I should use a flag tag but I am. ???

Last edited:
You are in the data tags, not in communications.

I can create a bool and it treats it as a single bit, If i am looking at a long, I select Little_Endian and the bit number.

Manipulation tab is always under bit number when i create a bool.

Last edited:
Just a bug I guess. Working on the app again today and the same thing happens when adding a new flag tag and linking it to a bit in the PLC.

Just hope it works.

Lame... Ok, it looks like it just changes the icon from a Numeric tag to a Flag tag if you use a discrete source. ???

It seems the only way to tell is the error message you get when changing the source and if you create a new flag tag and look at the different options shown on the data tab. A numeric tag changed into a flag tag has the data scaling section and so on.

Now I'm not sure if I need to recreate all the flag tags that show a flag tag icon but have numeric properties.

Last edited: