5/02 and a Panelview Plus

Got a 5/02 and a 2711P-B7C22A9P Panelview. How can I add ethernet to the 5/02 cheap for the Panelview? A gateway is too expensive, same thing for a 5/05. Had to replace a panelview and the old DF1 isnt supported anymore. Net-ENI? If so, not sure what cable to use.

Thanks!

(Edit) I think I just got the award for lurker status, lol. Joined 2008 and this is the first post.

Unfortunately your SLC-5/02 has come to the end of it's practical useful life if you need to connect a PanelView Plus 7 Performance terminal to it. A service life of 25+ years is pretty great for any electronic device.

In my opinion, a used SLC-5/05 16K controller is the most practical solution because it requires the least labor to implement.

PV+7 Performance has no serial port built-in or add-on, and it is unlikely that there is an affordable Ethernet/DH485 gateway that is compatible with the FactoryTalk Linx drivers the PV+7 uses.

I very seldom recommend the EquusTek devices because of their long history of misconduct and poor engineering support.

To my knowledge the 1747-UIC is not compatible with the PanelView Plus 7, though that might be worth examining especially with a Forum member (PLCCables.com) who might weigh in on testing the popular and affordable aftermarket version.

I'm not sure that you really have any other options outside of a gateway or upgrading to a 5/05 processor. Serial to ethernet gateways/converters shouldn't be that expensive. I did a quick Google search serial to ethernet gateways and found several for under $250. I am not certain if this solution would work, though.

Automation Direct, StarTech, Phoenix Contact are some brands you could look into.

If you were considering a ControlLogix Gateway, then yes, that would be expensive but not necessary.

The problem is that the SLC-5/02 doesn't support a tidy asynchronous serial protocol, but rather the proprietary and finicky Data Highway 485.

If this were a protocol that had ASCII delimiters on the end of each packet or even was handled by timeouts, that would be different. But DH485 is a multi-station token-passer with low-level timing requirements on switching Tx to Rx.

The 1761-NET-ENI or its equivalent from plccables.com would work with any SLC-5/0x that has an RS-232 Channel 0 serial port, so that's the SLC-5/03, 5/04, 5/05 but not the 500, 5/01, or 5/02.

Last edited:
Kind of what I thought.Was trying to avoid a 5/05 as new cost is $8,800. Going to try to find used but I can't do Ebay, it has to be a company because we will need to set up a vendor account. Used on Ebay runs around $1000... that I can do, $8,800 I can't.

Thanks for the replies!