APC SM1000c to SE M340 modbus TCP comms

kuckphoto

Hi has any one linked a Schneider Electric Smart UPS to a PLC through Modbus TCP? Supposedly it can do it, I'm told. but I'm not entirely sure how. I know the modbus addresses that I want to bring into the PLC but being fairly new to Schneider and Modbus I don't know how to proceed.

We're using a BMXP342020 and a SMT1000C

Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Since you don't have a NOC or NOE comms card in the PLC rack, you'll have to do this using READ_VAR function block in the PLC through the processor ethernet port.

Its a challenge getting it working the first time...

Do a search for READ_VAR on this forum, there was a chap recently trying to do something very similar, but to some red lion remote I/O.

Timeout GEST

The timeout value in the GEST control block should be set to a nonzero value using a MOVE before you hit the read_var the first time. It looks at the timeout when it starts the communication. Zero corresponds to an infinite timeout. If there is a zero in that GEST element and your read_var is not successful it will probably hang up and you will have to cycle power on the processor. Loading a nonzero value after the fact will not recover the read_var.

Triggering the read_var seems to not be very well documented if you don't want it to go continuously. Too many Read_vars going at one time may lead to socket count problems. Expose the EN pin on the block and one-shot it whenever your want a communication to start. When I've had several read_vars that need to be sequentially triggered I've used SFC to sequence them.

I'm not sure where the term 'GEST' came from. I suspect it's an abbreviation for something in French.

Read_var is subject to the usual Modbus issues with address offset versus communications index. The result is that you may have to adjust your register number up or down by 1 to get the correct data.

Older Modicon software could not put the return of a communications command into an 'unlocated' variable. It had to go into register space. Now you have the better option to go into an unlocated. You will have to turn a project option to allow dynamic array indexing - I forget the exact term for the option.

I wish you well with your project.