Schneider M241

GOPurdy

I'm thinking of selecting the Schneider M241 PLC for a product line. Has anyone worked with this PLC before? Please share your likes/dislikes.
How effective/easy are PID Loops done using this PLC? How well does AutoTune work?

The hardware is great, with many connectivity options and extra modules.
It is also very fast and the pricing is good (cheaper than the S7-1200).
M241 supports both Modbus TCP and Ethernet/IP out of the box and has two serial ports for Modbus RTU.
The programming software EcoStruxure Machine Expert is basically Codesys so it's very powerful, especially if you program in ST but I think that if you use Ladder exclusively then Codesys shouldn't be your first option.

You can also use M251 which is basically the same CPU but without embedded IO and with more Ethernet ports. M262 also uses the same hardware modules and programming software so you are not only limited to M241.

We have installed control panels with more than 200 M241 PLCs over the last 3 years and never had any problems.

I haven't used PID in Codesys/Machine Expert.

We have used PIDs on 2 or 3 applications with the M241 and the 251. They both have a PID function block that works well. Though we have not used the autotune.

I'll concur with kallileo that they are a nice plc. We really like them. But as he said, the ladder editor is not great, if you prefer that as your first language. But that is Codesys in general, not just the Schneider plcs.

I'm starting a new project with a M241 and would like to use Codesys instead of Schneiders SoMove. When I'm uploading the project in the controller from Codesys I have many missing libraries, I'll try to Download Missing Libraries but the downloads fail. Does anyone have a link to the Schneider Libraries, I've tried to import the libraries from SoMachine to Codesys but the files were not accepted.
This is my first project using codesys so there is a good possibility I'm doing this incorrectly. Any help would be much appreciated!

Isn't SoMove old obsolete software, shouldn't it be EcoStruxure Machine Expert now.
PS I know nothing about them, only used one M241 and that was what the software was called, but maybe it's the same software.

Last edited: