S5 Siemens open and view code

Simon020

Hi all, i have a old Siemens S5 project that we want to open up to look at the code, have never used S5 before so what are the steps to open and view the code? any advice would be great thanks

S5 opening code

yeah we have the old DOS Step 5 Siemens software but i haven't had any experience on it so after a quick guide on how to open the project and view the code. ta

Maybe get a VM setup on your machine with an earlier OS like windows 95 or 2000? Older software has problems working with new OS like windows 10 etc....

The old S5 software was CPM based, and the DOS version was just the same CPM with a small com file that run CPM emulation in dos.
Even that did not work very well on windows. IBH was written for windows and was a system not written by Siemens but was pretty good. Step 7 can convert S5 files but if there are some used FB's it creates blank ones as they are not compatible with S7, this applies to some additional FB's you could purchase from Siemens. I bet someone on here has S5 and if you post them the code they could create a PDF for you

The old S5 software was CPM based, and the DOS version was just the same CPM with a small com file that run CPM emulation in dos.
Even that did not work very well on windows. IBH was written for windows and was a system not written by Siemens but was pretty good. Step 7 can convert S5 files but if there are some used FB's it creates blank ones as they are not compatible with S7, this applies to some additional FB's you could purchase from Siemens. I bet someone on here has S5 and if you post them the code they could create a PDF for you

To add onto that, before Siemens moved to DOS, a company jumped ahead and launched a software package called Quadriga that worked on DOS. I inherited 3 PLCs that were installed between Quadriga and S5 for DOS.

Cardosocea: I was racking my brain about that version, I know I used it in the 90's but could not remember the name, however, working for an approved systems builder for Siemens we never really took it up as there may be a conflict of interest.

Hi All.
does anybody have a working Quadriga program ?
Or be able to tell me where i could get it from as i have a backup file created by Quadriga i need to access and upload to machine or even convert to s5 if possible.
all help much appreciated
regards
mark

the file extensions are .bk5 .bcf .plc. .tex .urf .uxo .ux1 .urf

yes the program has gone so need to be able to at least get this backup open even to print logic

I have changed to what you have suggested and if possible as i am new to s5 would i be able to send files to you so that you maybe able to confirm this worked. ?
regards
MARK

Hi Mark,

What I did as a test, is download file called Archive(1) from this link:

https://support.industry.siemens.com/tf/us/en/posts/backup-of-plc-program/245802/?page=0&pageSize=10

And I renamed file from TS4_1.BK5 to [email protected], opened it in STEP 5, and was able to read the block list, which means the .BK5 file appears to be a valid STEP 5 blocks file. I was also able to open the blocks in S5 for Windows (see second screenshot).

I have not tried to download to a PLC, because I don't have one.

Quadriga_BK5_to_S5D.png Quadriga_BK5_to_S5D-2.png