studio 5000 emulate

dahnuguy

Logix Designer v32.02

When I open the emulator, there is a plc rack with rslinx in slot 0 and a blank cpu in slot 1.
the blank default cpu does not show up in who active and a new cpu can not be added nor can a new cpu be added.
Can add i/o cards, but no cpu add/ or remove / edit.

In RSLinx have you added the Virtual Backplane driver? It is needed to see the emulated chassis.

OG

Yeah its in there, that is how the rslinx shows up in slot zero.

Can't change or remove the default cpu nor can I add another CPU in another slot.

My guess is RSLinx Enterprise (now called FactoryTalk Linx) is the culprit. By default, it lands in slot #1 which would conflict with your controller.

1. Open the FactoryTalk Administration Console
  2. Select Local
  3. At the bottom of the Explorer window click Communications
  4. Right-click on the 1789-A17, Backplane and select Properties
  5. Make sure Auto Configure is deselected and change the slot # to a high number. Assuming it is set to 1.
  6. Click OK to save the change

Now open the Emulate Chassis Monitor and verify that module appears in the new slot #. This should appear immediately. However, with the conflict you are seeing, it might be necessary to restart your PC. When all is right, you typically see three modules: RSLinx Classic, RSLinx Enterprise/FactoryTalk Linx, and your controller. I usually change the two comms modules from slots 0 and 1 to high slot numbers.

BTW you can also make these changes inside FactoryTalk View Studio if you have that software. Just easier to do in The Admin Console.

OG

Emulate 5000.png

Last edited:
OG,

I did the same thing but used RSLinx configure driver.

This does get rid of the blank default cpu that I couldn't remove, but still wont allow me to add the emulator cpu.

"Internal Error!
Failed to install Studio 5000 Logix Emulate in slot!"

Same result in any slot.

I am able to add the emulator I/O cards just not the CPU.

So I uninstalled RS studio emulate and re-installed with no luck.

Then I noticed there is also RS500 emulate on this VM.
So I uninstalled both emulators then re-installed Studio emulate.
Then the activation wouldn't work.
So I just hit setup.exe again, then opened emulate again and the activation is magically there now and I can add a CPU without error message.