HART - Considerations for HART diagnostics and asset management

danw

Lifetime Supporting Member
HART has had diagnostics for decades but it hasn't been widely exploited beyond the handheld communicator level when something goes wrong. Its potential for preventive diagnostics is underused.

HART networks require high end HART enabled AI's AND asset management software to get HART diagnostics. It's not a low end proposition.

But for those that invest, the full capability is frequently abandoned because the cultural approach to troubleshooting and maintenance is still reactive, rather than proactive, there's no training and no up-keep over time.

Jonas Berge is a long time HART authority who has written a 30 page overview document on engineering and morphing to preventive diagnostics using HART.

If you have HART enabled AI's and use or are considering using HART asset management software, this is an excellent document, worth pdf'ing for future reference.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/new-tips-tricks-get-value-out-hart-jonas-berge

Dan