FactoryTalk ME, Global Objects, and Parameter Files

testsubject

I am have a hellofa time trying to find an answer to this:
Is it possible to use Global objects with Parameter files?
I see that I can embed parameter lists in the global object and then insert tags in the object after copying it to a screen but I cannot see how to insert a parameter list. This appears to only work if the object is created locally on the screen itself.
I have a project where I am creating around seventy iterations of this object and thought editing Parameter files would be easier than editing the parameters in 70 objects....

I am have a hellofa time trying to find an answer to this:
Is it possible to use Global objects with Parameter files?
I see that I can embed parameter lists in the global object and then insert tags in the object after copying it to a screen but I cannot see how to insert a parameter list. This appears to only work if the object is created locally on the screen itself.
I have a project where I am creating around seventy iterations of this object and thought editing Parameter files would be easier than editing the parameters in 70 objects....

I do believe you can use parameter files with global objects, but they have to be set at the global object level. That is, once it's set in your global objects, you cannot change it at the display level without breaking your link to the global object. If using 70+ objects, parameter files is a good idea. I *think* (although I've not tried it personally) you can use parameter files to reference other parameter files, kind of like nesting parameters. Whether that is a good idea or not is up to you. That can be a very slippery slope as it will be difficult to follow should you have to troubleshoot it later.

Capture.PNG

Jason,

Thanks for responding. That seems to confirm what I am finding. I will need to be able to assign different parameters to each object so I guess I will just use parameter lists at the global level instead and edit them on the screen when inserted.