Life cycle of siemens S7-300/400 series

panthripu

Hi
What stage of its life cycle, S7-300/400 controllers are at now? In my existing unit, we are using these controller and in near futher there is plan to start similar new unit. Is it wise to go with S7-1500 or there is any other latest model ?

According to this:

https://new.siemens.com/global/en/products/automation/systems/industrial/plc/simatic-s7-300.html

Information on product lifecycle
The SIMATIC S7-300/ET 200M system families are part of our established product range and will definitely be available until 2023. Upon publication of a product phase-out announcement, the respective product will be available as a spare part for a period of ten more years.
I would suggest for new applications to use the S7-1500.

I agree with sigma delta. The published statement talks about guaranteed availability instead of End Of Life, but everyone I know assumes they'll announce EOL on Oct 1, 2023 (they almost always phase things out on Oct 1). It's usually a gradual thing, and at least spare parts generally continue to be available for at least several years (I think they typically promise 10?).

All that said, yes, you definitely should be starting to move towards 1500, unless there is a major technological hurdle preventing it.

When they do announce the start of the phase out, then most parts will be available for a long time, but some parts will become unavailable sooner than others.
ET200S was put on phase out last year, and you can see on the plan how some parts will be available longer than others.
https://support.industry.siemens.co...-et-200s-components?dti=0&pnid=14084&lc=en-US

Even if the parts are available as spares, expect the prices to increase very steeply. ET200S have becomes significantly more expensive already.

Definitely do not start a new project with S7-300/400 today.

But the 400-family doesn’t really have successor?
There is no equivalent to CFC-programming?

Apart from that, 1500 is probably the best way to go.

There is no equivalent to CFC-programming?

Apart from that, 1500 is probably the best way to go.

I think with the development in processing power on the 1500's moves a fair bit of applications from the 400 onto it and the 400 body is to be kept for PCS7 (which is a very different beast internally to the normal 400s) as the CPU 410-5 or 5H, I think.

A lot of the 400 family technology can fit inside a 1500, although you may need a 1518 for memory. There is a 1500H now, HF is probably on the way.

That said, Siemens has said that S7-400 will be around until at least 2030, as PCS7 still uses it. I think they revamped the CPUs internally for PCS7 only (S7-410), but the IO family is still the same.

S7-400 may not have a successor, officially, but I would think you can still port most projects to 1500 for use outside of PCS7.

Better to switch now, because that spare part price goes up thru the roof.
I would go thru changing a project offline to new processor see if there is any complying issues. Then see if you can get a processor, see if it runs like your expecting. Maybe you can get a loaner from distributor to see if there is any problems?