Siemens ALM remote

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
I want to setup somekind of server in ALM so that I can start Tia portal on any connected PC and borrow the license automatically. Is this possible? Do I need some sort on VPN?
/Tim

Hi,
I want to setup somekind of server in ALM so that I can start Tia portal on any connected PC and borrow the license automatically. Is this possible? Do I need some sort on VPN?
/Tim

ALM has server functionality baked in. You need is to disable the setting "Forbid remote use of license keys" in the General tab of the settings, and then "Allow Remote Connections" on the Connections tab.

You don't need a VPN if the computers are on the same network. You go to Edit -> Connect Computer and type in the details. If the computers are on different networks, then yeah, VPN would be important for security.

Yes, I would like to reach the server over internet but dont kno where to start really ��

I think it could be fine for inhouse work, but travelling and having to connect via VPN sounds iffy to me.

Some software packages (CAD) we use have both server based licensing, and a feature to check out a license to your local PC. The check reverts automatically to the server after a set time. We use for when we have to travel to a site and be able to work with the CAD.
Dont know if Siemens ALM can do that. Would like to know.

I only need to connect fron two places, at home and at travel PC.

I think that you borrow the license from the ALM and on lost connection you have it for three hours