iFIX IGS driver PLC5 N32 Integer to ASCII

DefelRadar

Hello,
I am converting to iFIX 6.1 and talking to a PLC5. I have several TX tags that were looking at N32 addresses in the PLC5 and were getting converted to ASCII.

The old FIX32 system talked to the PLC5 using the ABR driver.
The new iFIX system is talking to the PLC5 using the IGS driver.

Is there special I/O address naming convention that would allow the N32 (Integer) PLC address value to be converted ASCII through the IGS driver without any additional code on the iFIX side of things?

For example if my I/O address is Test.PLC5.N32:24 and it reads the value 65 then I would want that value to be converted to ASCII = "A".

So in the iFIX tag database could I append something to the I/O address like "M" or "MSH" for it to convert it for me. For example could the I/O address now be Test.PLC5.N32:24MSH and it would read "A" instead of the integer value?

Thanks for the help!

See here:

ge.com/digital/documentation/ifix/version61/Subsystems/OPCCLNT/content/power_tool_item_window.htm

I know it's an older link but I think the same OPC datatype applies.

Hello,
So in the iFIX tag database could I append something to the I/O address like "M" or "MSH" for it to convert it for me. For example could the I/O address now be Test.PLC5.N32:24MSH and it would read "A" instead of the integer value?

I have a similar issue displaying values in iFix and usually forcing the type on the address works.
The solution is something like Test.PLC5.N32:24@Float, looking at the link below, it seems like you can use @Char to do what you want. @String is possible to be used, but I reckon it'll want an actual String. If they give you the option of a Char then it should do what you need.

I never tried this so have no idea if it works on Strings but it did work on numerical variables.

https://digitalsupport.ge.com/commu...Using-Dynamic-Configuration?Type=Article__kav

Unfortunately the @STRING or @CHAR at the end of the tag name did not convert the integer value in the PLC to a ASCII String or Character. So I'm still searching for a solution and since the IGS driver is based on Kepware I'll start looking down that rabbit hole....