SLC 5/04 - 1761-NET-ENI - Powerflex 525`

jds8086

I have decided that instead of upgrading the drives & plc at the same time on my project i would just do the drives for now as just getting them to shut it down long enough to do that will be work. I need to get an SLC 5/04 communicating with Powerflex 525's. There is currently 5 1305 drives with DH+ to DF1 converters of some sort and a DHRIO in the PLC. Hope you experienced fellows can tell me if I'm on the right track here with the 1761-NET-ENI and if not could you please point me in the right direction and I'll do my dd.

Are you going to convert your drives to Ethernet? AB has discontinued the 1761-NET-ENI but we make a aftermarket one that works good and is reasonably priced, we also sell DH+ to Ethernet Gateways

Do they offer a Ethernet adapter for the 1305? I dont know a lot about the 1305's

Are you going to convert your drives to Ethernet? AB has discontinued the 1761-NET-ENI but we make a aftermarket one that works good and is reasonably priced, we also sell DH+ to Ethernet Gateways

Do they offer a Ethernet adapter for the 1305? I dont know a lot about the 1305's

I don't know if they offer an Ethernet adapter for the 1305's, but i will be using Powerflex 525's which come with integrated Ethernet adapters.

Link to your products?

Thanks

You cannot use a SLC to control ethernet drives like the Logix family. You can do a few things using message instructions, but it is HIGHLY not recommended to try to start/stop a drive using message instructions with SLC or Micrologix processors. Its bad enough with a SLC505 or Micrologix1400, it would hate to deal with adding another communication gateway into the mix. You cannot replace the RIO on a SLC with ethernet, it just doesn't have the ability. There are lots of threads on this forum explaining why controlling ethernet drives on Logix500 processors is a bad idea. I know Ken Roach has explained it multiple times in grand detail.

You can convert your SLC I/O to a remote rack by replacing the processor with a 1745-AENTR, install a map it to a CompactLogix processor, and convert the program Logix500 program to a Logix5000 one. I can almost guarantee you will not be successful trying to control multiple ethernet drives on a SLC504.

I suppose i should heed the warnings and drop that idea, thanks.

You can convert your SLC I/O to a remote rack by replacing the processor with a 1745-AENTR, install a map it to a CompactLogix processor, and convert the program Logix500 program to a Logix5000 one. I can almost guarantee you will not be successful trying to control multiple ethernet drives on a SLC504.

That should be a 1747-AENTR right? I'm going to seriously consider this option. Thanks you

Last edited:
That should be a 1747-AENTR right? I'm going to seriously consider this option.

Yes the correct number is 1747, I have used them a couple times but I would not consider this an upgrade, you are replacing the CPU with a AENTR and controlling the old hardware with a new CPU (Compact or ControlLogix) I would do the full upgrade if at all possible and get rid of the old hardware, the reason I asked about the 1305 Ethernet option is if you could get them over to Ethernet and install a CLX to control them then replace them over time with the 525's, I just think your PLC should be the first upgrade if possible... I know I have no idea what your process is or what your reasoning for the upgrades so this is someone on the outside looking in.

I know I have no idea what your process is or what your reasoning for the upgrades so this is someone on the outside looking in.

The deal is the 1305's are literally crumbling to pieces. It's so bad that on all but maybe 1 of the 5 the control pcb is only hanging on because of the one metal standoff used in the top right corner. almost all of the plastic is laying in the bottom of the enclosures. This is why i'm focused on the drives because it is a ticking time bomb. I'm absolutely going to do my best to try and get enough time to "do it all" but i have an idea how it's going to go and it isn't well lol.

Are the Start/Stops and the speed reference hardwired? If so, you should be able to get by until the PLC is upgraded. I typically design the basics as being hardwired and then use the datalink for the rest of the information. I just never really liked to rely on the datalink for control. Of course, some may argue that's why you have an HOA switch, or that it is a waste of IO, I guess it was just personal preference on my part...

but i have an idea how it's going to go and it isn't well lol.

Trust me we all have been there and feel your pain... like blawrenz said what is connected from the drive to the PLC now? maybe start replacing the 525's and later make use of the Ethernet card but for now just run them like the 1305's are ran, maybe a little more work but its still just a bite at a time and not the whole pig in your mouth at once.

I understand the challenges of piecewise upgrades, but.. ugh. I won't make you listen to me tell stories.

What you've probably got is an SLC-5/04 controller with a slot-mounted 1747-SN Remote I/O (RIO) Scanner, connected to 1203-GD1 or -GK1 RIO Adapter modules to control the Bulletin 1305 VFDs over their SCANport connection.

This was a pretty smooth setup, once upon a time. Each drive would appear as 2 to 8 words of data in the I/O map of the SLC, depending on how you set up the "Data Links" via DIP switches and I/O size entries. You would command starts and stops in the Command word, and give a Reference between 0-32767 = Min Hz to Max Hz in the Reference word, and use the rest of the data table for your choice of feedback and control parameters, 2 at a time.

There were a handful of similar ways to do this: 1203-SM1 SCANPort modules, or 1747-SDN DeviceNet scanners with 1203-GD5/GK5 Adapters, or even ControlNet modules.

But with modern PowerFlex 520 series drives, the easiest interfaces are EtherNet/IP and Drive Serial Interface (DSI), since they are built into the drive.

Let's take a step back: what's your budget ? Are the drives all in the same cabinet ? Do you have access to the SLC-5/04 program to examine ahead of time ?

There might be a good argument for doing this with DSI (essentially Modbus RTU over RS485 wiring) and an intermediate DF1/Modbus serial device instead of trying to connect using EtherNet/IP, leaving that connection for Phase 2 when the SLC becomes a CompactLogix.

Addendum: if you can ZIP and post the *.RSS file for the SLC-500, forum members including me would be happy to take a look and explain how your system works and give recommendations for the migration.

The 5 drives are all in separate cabinets placed down the length of a ~200' conveyor, the drives are powering power rollers. The only thing on the 1747-SN is the drives, but the catch is that this "conveyor" plc (the SLC 5/04 we are talking about) is communicating with a ControlLogix in the machine that spits the goods out onto the conveyor via DH+. The ControLogix was originally also a SLC but the whole machine was recently replaced. So that being said it appears that using the SLC as a remote rack is out of the question. I can upload the program Monday time permitting, it's been a bit crazy as of late. Thank you all again for your help!

Just a side note, while I'm still interested in learning how this could be done, i have decided to let the company engineer(s) handle this project. There are too many things to go wrong here and I'm not exactly experienced with Allen Bradley plc's / drives etc and i don't want to make myself look like an idiot. There is another project that has come up to retrofit PLC's in place of relay logic on some pressure testers which aren't complex and would be a much better jumping off point for me. My experience has been more in hobby electronics / micro controller programming (in C) and information technology.