Circuit protection and SCR Fuses

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a 200A load and that is how I wired it.
The SCR Fuses that came with the 240A rated SCR are rated 350A.
The SCR fuses are 1 cycle fast fuses.

It is still okay to use the 250A CB protection (load x 1.25) with 350A SCR fuses, because the SCR fuses are rated for short circuit protection (spikes) only?

I can't speak to California, but that setup is perfectly legal under the Canadian electrical code.
I second James's comment, you need to consult someone who is familiar with your NEC requirements.

Following this thread. This is a good question. In my line of work, I was trained to put two different types of fuses on our SCR circuits. One will be a time-delayed, normally-sized fuse for simple overload situations and the other is a very fast blow, SCR-rated fuse to protect the SCR in transient or short circuit situations. It made sense to me, but was never sure if that was right.