Compactlogix to Telesis TMC470 Ethernet communication

kjacoby

Good morning. I have been working on integrating a Telesis TMC470 using their #77918 ethernet adapter. I can get a string to send, but it is not in the way Telesis says to do it. I have used 3 different manuals, and they all don't seem to correlate with the way this adapter works.

From Telesis:
"Byte 4 (message type) should be an 86 which represents a V (sending variable text) Your message should start in byte 5 and continue on each byte. You must toggle Byte 3 each time you want to send new data."

So when I send the String "TEST" in the format they say, my string comes in as "VTEST150". If I put a 85 in Data[4], which should be an invalid assignment since V calls out a variable text to the Telesis, my string comes through as "UTEST149".

about a second or two after the string comes through, my variable changes to "?000000095" and stays like that until I toggle byte 3 again. I really think there is something goofy going on with the ethernet adapter, but I am having a terrible time getting responses from Telesis on these issues. I get a quick reply, and don't get any more responses.

I did notice if I change the output values of data[0], data[1], and data [2] the text reflects those numbers. So with a 3 in data[2] the text comes is as ?000003098. Changing Data[2] back to 0 and the string will change back to "?000000095".

I have also noticed that when the ethernet adapter is plugged in, I cannot go through any menus. It constantly kicks me out of the menu.

I am basically wondering if anyone else has experienced these issues with a compactlogix, using their #77918 ethernet adapter.

Thanks,
Ken

Well, I finally got a little somewhere with Telesis. Come to find out the ethernet adapter they sold me is not compatible with the 8 pin head I am using. And there isn't a way to add a gateway address to the ethernet setup.

They are now telling me I need to use TCP/IP, or rs232. But they have no clue what message attributes I need to use.

They said its for my controls department to figure out (me). Starting to think I will just need to get an real time automation ethernet to rs232 gateway and give it a try.

I believe the last time i used a telesis they sold me a 232 to ethernet adapter. And that is what we used.
It looks like an inline adapter.
Ill have to look back at my files.