Recipe Arrays In Compact Logix

Not to nitpick, but I would place the unlatch right after the XIC. You want this to unlatch right after the PLC sees the transition, not based on conditions. Just my experience and opinion though.

What if the command bit gets written first ?

At least where it is the "action" it requested has taken place.

EDIT : I did this from memory, and forgot that I would also CLR the RecipeNumber after doing the copy. No chance of getting the WRONG recipe loaded ....

Last edited:
I would agree that the unlatch should probably take place regardless of whether the limit test passed or failed.

OK, I like that thinking, "I've seen it, kill it, now let's see if we can do anything with the data we have".

But that will leave an infuriated operator having to "try again" if the wind wasn't in the right direction.

Perhaps a good solution would be to have the "command" bit in the same WORD (SINT INT or DINT) as the index to the array, say bit 7, 15, or 31 respectively. That way you know for certain that the command bit and data are synchronised.

Food for thought....

OK, I like that thinking, "I've seen it, kill it, now let's see if we can do anything with the data we have".

But that will leave an infuriated operator having to "try again" if the wind wasn't in the right direction.

Perhaps a good solution would be to have the "command" bit in the same WORD (SINT INT or DINT) as the index to the array, say bit 7, 15, or 31 respectively. That way you know for certain that the command bit and data are synchronised.

Food for thought....

I think you may be overthinking this. The point, at least mine, is the command (HMI) should reset once the PLC sees it. It did it's job. If the rest of the code isn't "ready" then nothing happens. Your way, the command will remain until the rest of the code is ready, which may not happen for a while. To me, that is undesirable. In your example, probably not a huge deal.