Merging labels and ladder on a PLC5

How do you go about merging a PLC5 file (I forgot the extension) that has documentation or labels with a file that doesn’t? The file on our PC was probably down loaded from the PLC – no labels. I found a much older copy of the same file with the labels (or documentation). I would like to add the labels to the current copy.

With Directsoft (Automation Direct), I would open the older program on my PC and then connect to the PLC. Directsoft would alert me of the differences between the two programs and give me the option to choose which version I want to work with. If I choose the PLC version, that ladder logic is loaded into the PC RAM and then I can save it back onto the harddrive. I would have the current program with labels.

I’m sure RSLogix will do the same but I’m nervous about messing something up. Can I do the same thing? Load the program with labels and then go online? Will RSLogix give me the chance to display the running ladder program and the labels from the harddrive? Is there a better way?

Thank you for your time and help;
Frank

First of all, make a copy of your old, commented program and your new uncommented program and file them away somewhere safe.

I don't have a PLC5 here so this is from memory. Open Logix5 and attach to the plc. Logix5 will look for a file on your computer that matches the plc. It probably won't find one. You will them be propmpted to select a file. Select your old, commented file. One of the selections along the right side of the file selection window should say something like 'Upload File/Merge Documentation' or something like that. That is the selection you want to make. The plc program will upload and the documentation from your old program should show up. then do a 'Save As...' and save it as what you want.

I hope this helps.

Keith

The other option if you don't have the PLC handy (just the off-line files), is to open the commented file and export the database (\Tools\Database\ASCII Export). Then open the uncommented file and import the database that you just exported (\Tools\Database\ASCII Import).

Marc