UL508A GFCI Test

RBergmann

As many of us are involved in designing control panels as well as programming the PLCs that are installed in them, I have a customer who was cited by his inspector for the following:

He uses a GFCI outlet for most of his ICPs. The inspector told him that he must also have a testing schedule and signoff for the testing of the GFCI outlet. I've not heard of this. In my research in the latest UL508A Standard, I can find no reference to testing, or recording results of tests, of GFCI outlets. I realize there must be appropriate supplementary protection but a UL508A testing requirement for ICP installed GFCI outlets?

Anyone heard of this?

What a crock. I would be tempted to leave off the receptacle, or change to a non-GFCI.

I have seen little sheets that come with some GFCI receptacles for the owner to check off the dates when the GFCI was tested, but have not heard of forcing a secondary manufacturer to provide the test sheets.

Last edited:
What a crock. I would be tempted to leave off the receptacle, or change to a non-GFCI.
My feeling is that the inspector is confusing other standards with UL508A. Some of these guys have more duties than just panel shops. He's (the inspector) the reason the GFCI is used in place of a standard receptacle. told my customer this was needed in UL508A panels. I ran a certified shop for 20 years and never heard of either the testing or GFCI requirement for a general use ICP. The one thing that was never mentioned is the labeling for a restricted max supplementary protection for the outlet.

Last edited: