Trouble shooting digital input card on Direct logic 205 PLC

wippeluk

HI,
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, the problem im having is with a direct logic 205 PLC DL260 CPU. The PLC in running a wind turbine. On the digital input card im getting incorrect signals on inputs B0-B7, the control components wired to these inputs are all motor overloads. All these overloads are wired normally open and when an overload is tripped it closes sending a signal to the PLC. The input card has all the B0-B7 lights on stating its getting a signal from these overloads saying they have tripped. When you go to the actual components they have not tripped and are functioning like normal. However the A terminals A0-A7 are all correct and functioning like they should. Is there a possibility the input card has failed for the B terminal and not the A terminals? And also how would you troubleshoot the input card to find out if that’s the issue? Also im not sure if this is related but the PLC interface stopped working as well, it’s getting power but won’t turn on. I figured this to be the interface went bad but with these problems with the input card im wondering if the PLCs faulty. Could that cause the interface not to work?
Thanks

1st - safety circuits like overload trips should always have current flowing in the normal condition. You should change all the OLR's to N.C. contacts & change the PLC program to match.

That said, I would look at the common lead to the B side of the input card - maybe it's floating & allows the inputs to show as On when not actually. Otherwise I would try adding a small relay to one input to draw some more current on one of the inputs & see if that makes a change.

Keep in mind on the 16 point input cards, there are only 8 led indicators available for 16 inputs on the card,
and to view each 8, you have to change a small switch A/B on the front of the input card to view indication for
each.

The most simple thing to do is remove one of the input wires (B0-B7), and see if the input indicator goes out.
If the indicator goes out, the input is probably good.

If the input indicator does go out when the wire is removed;

Next figure out why you have a signal at the input/s (in whatever form), when you shouldn't.
What type of input card is it? What voltage is expected there?

These may indicate if the PLC has faulted;

The PLC RUN indicator should be on.
The PLC CPU indicator should be off.