Maximum length of cable for stepper motor step pulses?

arbj

Hi,

I have a stepper motor with integrated driver, the driver needs a pulse input signal and direction input (see specs..http://www.anaheimautomation.com/manuals/stepper/L011154%20-%2023MD%20Series%20User%20Manual.pdf)

I estimate the step input signal to be around 5Khz. The design of the system is such that the stepper motor is housed in a separate unit, while the step generation part (achieved by a PLC) is in another housing, both are connected using male and female panel connectors.

My questions are....

1. How long can the step input cable be ??

2. Is it advisable to run a long cable in an industrial environment, which contains several heavy duty motors running in the area ??

3. Is it usual to run long cables for such a task (ie: pulse generation )??

Thanks
a

IMO base on the manual,

if i not wrong not more than 1 feet

so far i know for stepper motor , no above 1 meter depend of brand.

12.JPG