Power Flex 40 and ControLogix PLC

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I have a system that has single phase PF40 that I would like to replace with a 3 phase. Since I do not have the ability to change the program, I need to know if the system is going to have kittens because of this. Electronic Keying is set to "Compatible Module". Thank you

When you say you can't change the program, do you mean you have zero access to it at all, or that it needs to remain functionally the same for process validation purposes ?

I expect that in the worst case, you will have to change the Electronic Keying from "Compatible" to "Disable Keying".

I believe that "Compatible" keying causes the PLC to check only the Vendor and Type, but not the Product Code or the Major/Minor Revision.

But despite my otherwise very deep RA networking expertise, I have never looked into this in detail with PowerFlex because I always have access to the controller and the integration of DriveTools / drive profiles.

A Product Code would be different for a different power rating drive, and typically every different part number (1-phase and 3-phase have the 4th character different) has a unique Product Code.

On ControlNet and EtherNet/IP, either the drive or the PLC can check the keying and reject it if it's inappropriate. On DeviceNet that's the Scanner module's job.

When you say you can't change the program, do you mean you have zero access to it at all, or that it needs to remain functionally the same for process validation purposes ?

Hello Ken. What I mean is, OEM has third party security on it so that I am not even able to force bits whilst online with it. I have had heated arguments with them over this but they won't relent. They tell me it is an accountability thing with food and beverage. This being my first food & bev gig, I am not in a position to argue it. We are not under any service contract and the company owns the machines. I told the owner I could copy/paste all of this over to a new program, download it to the controller, and that would be the end of this control OEM has but he isn't on board with it yet. Every time anything has to be done, they must go online with it.....for a fee of course.

Thanks for that context.

Yeah, process validation for 21 CFR food and drug applications is very complicated and strict. You don't want to get the reputation as the cowboy who came in and blew up the facility's FDA compliance and exposed them to audit liability. The owner knew they were buying a validated system when they bought it, and all those for-a-fee connections were accounted for in the capital price at the start. There is a TON to learn in FDA-regulated industries, even just around how to implement reliable electronic records.

I expect it to work correctly set for "Compatible Module", but at least if it doesn't you can point the OEM directly to the part that needs correction and explain why.