UDP to EIP with CompactLogix

Yes, perhaps.

I would need to look closely at the compatibility of the 5380 series with the existing point IO and local rack modules.

However, my interest now turns to finding a robust hardware solution for running either python or C scripts to re-broadcast the packets in smaller chunks or using pylogix and writing to the controller tags directly via CIP.

I've contacted Anybus and Prosoft and neither offers a module that natively handles raw UDP packet data.

5380 (v32 that I have) works:
Test:
- 600 bytes sent by the peer,
- requested 800 bytes
- read MSG (unconnected) done bit is set with 600 byte payload.

5380 does not use local Point I/O, it uses 5069 I/O.

Can't help with an external solution if you prefer to go that way.

Thanks for testing the 5380 and confirming this.

Migrating from the 5370 to 5380 series is a non-starter due to the significant cost and very moderate benefit - the UDP data is not system critical - nice to have but certainly not essential.

Are there any other hardware module / gateway companies to look at other that ProSoft or Anybus? I'm not sure if the request or raw UDP packets is too trivial and has been overlooked in favour of the established protocols.

Otherwise, I'd like to avoid depending on a windows PC for the link. So will likely forge on with finding robust hardware for the opensource software.

You may try MicroLogix 1400 or Micro 800 that supports sockets, as a bridge to CIP, but I am not sure about large connection support. Can't help with that, just an idea to look at.

Last edited:
Very interesting - just what I had in mind.

Would I need to make enquiries about this being able to run the latest python version and any libraries? Or is it a given for the hardware?

I have a pretty interesting use case combining data from the UDP blackbox and PLC in a data historian written in python. Are you familiar with the CAKE Historian platform from CCI?

Very interesting - just what I had in mind.

Would I need to make enquiries about this being able to run the latest python version and any libraries? Or is it a given for the hardware?

It runs a current version of Raspbian (Buster I believe) with the RT kernel patch. So you can run whatever version of python on it you want. You can run whatever software you want that is supported for the Raspberry Pi (ARM).

Finally, if we read the 2014 Rockwell PDF again we see the following:

All CompactLogix 5370 controllers must use unconnected MSG instructions. If​
you are configuring a message for a CompactLogix 5370 controller, make sure​
the Connected checkbox on the Message Configuration dialog box is cleared.​

Then..

A large connection is only available with connected MSG instructions.​

Do you have reason to believe this restriction was lifted in more recent firmware?

View attachment 58927
Hi: You can share an example program