Comm path for SLC Typed Read MSG

godfrey

I'm getting error 16#0008, unsupported service request in my MSG config. I have a CompactLogix w/L33ER. In slot 10 I have a Prosoft MVI-DFCM. I am connecting serially to a SLC over modem to its serial port 0. I think it doesn't like my path which is MVI69, 9 where MVI69 is the name of the module and 9 is the node of the SLC. Is my path correct? Thanks.

I have never used the Prosoft module, but explicit message pathing is "Port, Destination, [Port, Destination]...."

You have named the MVI module, replacing as many port, destination pairs as is needed to path the message into the module, but you then need to direct it from there..

I believe you need to put a 2 in front of the 9....MV169,2,9

The last two numbers are "go out of the front port of the DFCM to address 9". If the prosoft module has multiple "front" ports, they are numbered sequentially from 2 upwards, the backplane or compactbus port is always 1.

I’m not familiar with the ProSoft device but if you’re communicating DF1 full duplex I don’t think you need the “9”.

I’m not familiar with the ProSoft device but if you’re communicating DF1 full duplex I don’t think you need the “9”.

You'll still need to complete the "port, destination" pair, so if it is DF1 (Serial), then it'll most likely be destination address 0,

So : MV169,2,0 perhaps ?

Does the MVI69-DFCM work like that ?

And by "like that", I mean "accept CIP encapsulated DF1 messages across the backplane and deliver them to a serial port".

I've always understood the MVI56 and MVI69 modules to use the conventional Prosoft database and command table.

It would be great if they have implemented CIP routed MSG instruction support, but I haven't read about it.

Thanks for the replies. I may have to change my processor. If I was going out of port 0 of a 1769-L32E instead of the prosoft module, then what would the path be? The CPU port would be 0 and the node would be 0. The node number of the destination SLC is 9. So would it be 0, 0, 0, 9?

I don't mean that the MVI69 module won't do the function you want, just that you'll have to use the Command Table and not a MSG instruction.

In general, full-duplex point to point messages are originated by Node 0 and addressed to Node 1.

Firejo should be able to confirm on that; I feel that little "don't be so confident, Ken, you might have that backwards or wrong" tickle.

While it is named "Channel 0" largely because of the history of the PLC-5 controller, on a 1769-L32E CompactLogix the controller's serial port is CIP Port 2.

A full duplex point-to-point message going out of the serial port will typically have the CIP Path "2, 1".