CCW 13, momentary push button problem

You probably have tried already, change hold time to 0? I sure think I remember having jog buttons on PV800 and do not remember any issues... but it has been a few years since I have used one.

He's describing the behavior of the version of 20 years old. And, I can change nothing in [Hold Time] means.
Still, I am surprised they changed the behavior. Perhaps a call to A-B can point you to an old firmware revision where that behavior is restored

I hope that maybe someone also faced u with such a problem and found some solution.
Are there many screens on that HMI? If brushing that spot on the screen is a problem, then I would put it in a corner unused by all screens and protect it with a physical barrier e.g plastic with hinge, but in the end that is little different from making the operation require two presses.

Still, I am surprised they changed the behavior. Perhaps a call to A-B can point you to an old firmware revision where that behavior is restored

Are there many screens on that HMI? If brushing that spot on the screen is a problem, then I would put it in a corner unused by all screens and protect it with a physical barrier e.g plastic with hinge, but in the end that is little different from making the operation require two presses.

I guess I still don't get the issue, not supprising:(. If the button is just getting brushed causing unwanted actuations or whatever, I do not see how this could not be programmed around with a timer requiring an amount of time before sending the 1.

Hmm, did a google search for "hold time" in the forum; if the behavior changed from 2003 until now it seems unlikely it would be unnoticed until now.

• this post claims no change in behavior from 2003 until as recently as 2017
    • But it was only claimed, not tested.
    • The OP of that thread was having the same problem as this thread; no "solved" message though.
    • Earlier posts in that thread mention the possibility that the PV touchscreen was physically failing, but that is unlikely to be the case for this particular behavior.
  • another 2006 post claims the 2003 behavior

I guess I still don't get the issue, not supprising:(. If the button is just getting brushed causing unwanted actuations or whatever, I do not see how this could not be programmed around with a timer requiring an amount of time before sending the 1.

OP of this thread is saying that the Hold Time parameter for the momentary push button determines the duration of the 1 sent to the value of the PLC tag, and that duration is independent of the physical finger's actuation of the pushbutton on the touchscreen. So if the finger brushes the touchscreen for 1ms, the PLC sees a 1s* pulse of 0-1-0; and if the finger stays on the screen for a long time e.g. several seconds, the PLC still sees a 1s* pulse of 0-1-0.

* Hold Time is 1s

Since the PLC always sees the same pulse, there is no way to distinguish between the "occasional accidental brush" from the "intentional press" of the button.

Apparently this is changed behavior compared to 2003, or maybe it is the behavior of PVs programmed by CCW. Is this another "CCW is broken" thread?

Last edited:
Seems odd as it says you can set it to 0 though. Still like the thread you linked, the use of a timer should bandage a grazed press.

One thing that might be worth trying is a brand new r43wj CCW project with one new tag in the PLC and one new momentary pushbutton in the PV, and see what the behavior is.

Because from reading many threads in the forum it appears that objects can become mis-configured in a project, and after that it is impossible to recover the desired behavior.