Point IO Analog In 1734-IE2C Not reading

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
I must be missing something simple here but this is driving me nuts.

The setup is a Point IO rack with a 1734-IE2C Analog Input module. The rack is on Etherent/IP. All the diagnostic seems good but I can't get any reading. Also, I have a question on the connection setting. This rack only allows "rack optimization" for some reason. The older Point/IO rack on this setup allows Listening only and None as option but not this one. That's the only difference I see.

Other IO on the rack including digital in and analog out works just fine.

Rack Optimization connection mode is related to the 1734-AENT EtherNet/IP Communication adapter chosen configuration and it usually is the preferred and most efficient way of connecting Digital IO modules to a remote subnet.
Analog and Specialty modules need a Direct Connection.
The AENT adapter needs to be configured as Rack Optimized with an RPI different than any non-digital modules RPI; hence, if said adapter is to be RPIed at 20ms, when adding an Analog Module with an 100ms package interval request, the Analog module will be treated as a Direct Connection since it differs the Rack Optimized (AENT set) polling frequency.

Starting at page 51 of:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1734-um011_-en-p.pdf

If the Analog module is a recent addition to an existing, functional rack, I'd also make sure the new Remote Chassis "size" is being "comprehended" by the controller; POINT I/O addition is a bit quirky when compared with other hardware lines (Page 59 of the above posted link)

Page

It's a new rack including AO and DI modules and they work fine. No error of any kind just the data shows 0 no matter what I do.

-chassis size is good, card further down works
-switched out the IE2C already, no change.
-yes, 4-20mA is the setting in configuraiton
-checked loop current and also simulated current, nothing.

I'm taking a mental break on this and will update on Monday.

Other than proper attached circuitry (Pg.42 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1734-um001_-en-p.pdf) I can't think of anything else but the 1734-IE2C module connection settings:
The RPI value (of the IE2C module connection)should be different than the 1734-AENT comms adapter one; I'd first try something like 500ms and, if functional after, then lower it depending of the application's demands; never set it any lower than 50ms though.

Well, I finally decided to call up Rockwell and they can't think of anything either after gone through all the steps I already took. Then, it hits me, I could just swap the module into one of the rack where I already had some IE2C working so I did that and ... nothing, reading exactly 0 as well so ... it means I got 2 bad cards. Wow

Honestly, 1734 has always been the last on the list of my AB distributed hardware choices; I believe they are made in Italy and your story makes me remember that, always, you get what you're paying for..
Yes, they save panel space but that's about it...Oh, except cost of course...
Even it's been out there for a while and does not have all the latest bells and whistles, Flex I/O has almost never failed me; I'll always choose Flex modules if given a choice.

I am in a different boat as I don't spec the FlexLogic in anything. The PointIO is good except for the quirkiness of it.o_O
I have used some of the Phoenix Ethernet IO with good success except you have to have the ProSoft or Red Lion to convert it. (No I haven't tackled the using the Logix IP for the Modbus duties)
John

I only use them for non-process critical applications like monitoring and displaying. I actually like it as it's a quick and dirty way to add remote IO.

The one I got is stamped Make in Singapore.

if you can configure it you must communicating at some level
what reading are you getting 0
you said you are using 4-20ms in can you confirm that you have some current between 4-20ms through the input
if you have at least some current and it still reads 0 than try configure the module for 0-20ma
you should read something at that point
if you still read nothing try replacing the base module it could be a connection problem
hope it helps

For the record, I tried all that.

- Loop powered and source powered.
-4-20mA and 0-20mA.
-Tried calibration and failed.

Our panel builder will take care of the wty exchange and they have racks they can test on too. I know this is one of those, "no way, no how" type of situation and I'll update when I take these two module to the shop and see if their test rack would tell me any different.

Well, got the replacement module. Slipped them both in the rack and green channel light came on and reading correctly.

2 bad modules from factory. Yup, I guess the lesson is don't use PointIO for critical applications.