Horner OIU DOS Upload problem

Byron

Lifetime Supporting Member
Greetings to all the old timers!
I need to upload the code from a Horner OIU: HE693OIU177G
I have versions 3.xx and 4.xx of OIUCFG.EXE and I get the same result in both, whether run from a DOS window or DOSBOX ... on a laptop with XP PRO SPIII

Horner is close today (Sunday) and I have to be somewhere in the wee hours tomorrow AM to do this (among other things)

Any tips or tricks or hints?

One more thing...

I just booted another one of my older laptops in DOS 6.22, and ran the software from a floppy. I get the same message:

"No response from OIU"

Here is an excerpt from the manual:

5.2 Connecting the Personal Computer to the OIU
The OIU configuration software communicates serially to the OIU via RS-232. The OIU software includes a cable to
connect a 9-pin personal computer serial port to the OIU RS-232 port. In order for the software to successfully upload
or download the configuration to/from the OIU, the OIU must be in Autorun mode with no print register active or in
Setup mode on the Main Menu. The software may run without the OIU connected, so the application can be
completely developed "offline".

According to the manual, the serial cable uses the RTS/CTS handshaking signals. The pinouts should be 2 - 2, 3 - 3, 5 - 5, 7 - 7, 8 - 8. Given the age of the OIU I expect you'll need a computer with a real serial port rather than try to use a USB/serial converter.

Thank You Steve for the reply. I went back onsite on Monday 08.09.2015 and tried to connect to the existing unit. The one I had brought home to my lab was their spare. Still no dice... called Horner. The first thing I asked for was: " May I speak to an Old Timer regarding an OIU?" They connected me with John Shuttz. He's the man... The PDF manuals I downloaded do not tell the whole story, depending on the firmware. According to the manual you can get online while the unit is in "Auto Online" mode or in setup mode. John said the manuals were never updated to show the anomaly with newer firmware and that is that the unit HAS TO BE NOT IN AUTO ONLINE MODE. So I pressed the buttons to put into "setup mode" and walla!!! I uploaded the code from the OIU for backup and printed the code to a text file. Also, the home made cable I had taken to my lab and tried to make work on Sunday had a broken pin 7 wire on the female side... fixed that and still did not work, tried a straight through... still no dice... John said SERIAL STRAIGHT THROUGH and with the OIU out of Auto Online... no problemo...
Thank You John Shuttz
Thank You Steve Bailey
May future generations be blessed by the research!

Last edited:
One more thing: DOS Dot Matrix Printers

One more thing... the system I was working on pertains to an emergency generator system and they had an Epson LX300PII dot matrix printer attached to the OIU which receives print commands from a sub routine in the LogicMaster program for the GE 9030 PLC... (insert: <BTW> this is a fantastic way to catch problems in the logic) ... well the printer had gone bad several years ago and they had replaced it, but NEVER got it working again. So they asked me to look into getting the new one working. I called Horner and John Shuttz was going to be out of the office for a while, so I called Epson. This is usually a waste of time, the new kids usually don't know anything about DOS, unless they are gamers. They told me they could help with Windows or MAC, well I wouldn't need their help with that... so I called Horner back and talked with John Shuttz and explained the problem of the printer just printing a short one line of gibberish.

ANSWER: Use a Terminal program and try and print to it. Adjust the COM settings until it prints to the terminal program correctly. I forgot about this option frankly... I already have one I use for DOS stuff (PCM MODULES and Barcode readers) which I like better than HyperTerminal... " Terminal v1.9b - 20060920ß by Br@y++" I tracked him down for this post so I could share the link for the free download: (always scan everything just in case)
https://sites.google.com/site/terminalbpp/
There are two versions I downloaded just now:
"Terminal20141030.zip" and "Terminal20100630.zip" I am using the one mentioned above. EDIT: It is a PORTABLE APP, only 336 K...

The problem ended up being the Parity was set at "ODD" and needed to be set at "NONE".
The printer had defaulted to:
Baud Rate: 19200BPS and needed to be set at 9600
Parity: ODD
Data Length: 8Bit
And there was no place to enter the rest of the settings that I retrieved from the OIU code print to text file, which were:
Stop Bits: 1
Handshake: None
Thanks again to everyone on the forum for all the years of service! May this help someone - someday!

Last edited:
Need help HMI693OIU157-K

Hi guys, I really need help to connect old PC with COM1 + win XP to Horner HMI693OIU157-K.

We use this HMI on old moulding machine and we have one this HMI clear I must upload program *.oiu to it. Machine is useless without controller.

I was test original setting COM1 from manual - (speed 19200, ODD, etc.), and setting from Byron (9600, etc.), but OIUCFG.EXE still give me "NO RESPONSE FROM OIU" I am really hopeless. Do you have any idea please ?

OIOUCFG v3.57 give me "INVALID FILE TYPE" if I choose desired program to upload

IMG_1674.jpg IMG_1673.jpg IMG_1672.jpg IMG_1658.jpg