You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old May 2nd, 2019, 05:58 PM   #1
AnotherPLCguy
United States

TCP/IP Communication between CompactLogix PLC/ Matlab

Hello Experts,

I am building an application in Matlab (on my PC) which has a TCP/IP toolbox to allow me to connect to Ethernet enabled devices and I want my application to be able to talk to a CompactLogix 1769-L32E PLC. Can you please suggest a right command to use in the RSLogix software environment to have the PLC send some data to my application ? Would Message (MSG) instruction be right to use here ? I did some research on this and see that the instruction is used for communication between two controllers however in my case it is PLC to PC.

On another note, as I was doing my research, I stumbled upon a youtube video which shows the above exercise for a Siemens PLC and he does that using TCON instruction in Siemens. So my alternate question would be, what is the equivalent instruction in Allen-Bradley what TCON is to Siemens ?

Thanks for your time!

(PS: Here is the link to the youtube video I am taking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYXUWUf7LxU)
Old May 2nd, 2019, 08:15 PM   #2
Geoff White
Australia

Have a look at open sockets in the KB
Old May 2nd, 2019, 11:55 PM   #3
Jeev
Australia

The L32E won't do Socket comms natively, and doing it with a Prosoft or EWEB card is a bit of a pain. In terms of cost, I would look at using something like an OPC server and the Matlab OPC Toolbox.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum