You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old October 8th, 2014, 12:26 PM   #1
amberman
England

Reading selected language on PanelView by CompactLogix PLC

Quick version is is it possible to read the language that the user has selected on a Panel View? There seems to be no system flags but are there other ways?

The reason why I need to do it is that the HMI/PLC software I am working from was only written with one language in mind so uses both PLC string text as well as HMI text. This was done since there is a common set up page on the HMI that reads all sorts of parameters including strings from the PLC. Unfortunately the language I'm after (Russian) uses non-ASCII characters - no problem for the PanelView but the PLC only seems to handle ASCII.

I have a convoluted work around but it depends on being able to read the language.

The other strange one is that momentary push buttons overlaid on the language selector seem to mask the action of the language selector operation... Not what I expected from working with other HMIs. If I could pick up the action of pressing the language selector in the PLC then that would of course solve my problem. Not nice but given the total solution is getting a bit clunky anyway and the usual time pressures are on us I'd cope with it.

I've limited experience of Factory Talk so any assistance appreciated.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 09:40 AM   #2
cwal61
United States

I know this is late in the game. But CurrentLanguage() is a Function Code that will give the runtime current language.
Search Help for Functions you'll see the topic Language Functions in expressions.

Maybe you could also create a macro to copy CurrentLanguage() to a Tag for use in your program.
Old December 4th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #3
amberman
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwal61 View Post
I know this is late in the game. But CurrentLanguage() is a Function Code that will give the runtime current language.
Search Help for Functions you'll see the topic Language Functions in expressions.

Maybe you could also create a macro to copy CurrentLanguage() to a Tag for use in your program.
I never found the above in the Help under languages but did eventually get a nod towards some useful KB articles (especially 32569), though Rockwell support themselves weren't much use.

I did use CurrentLanguage() in an if/then expression - en-GB points to the existing English string tag from the PLC and ru-RU points to an HMI tag where I can enter Cyrillic characters. If I was to do the programming from scratch myself it would have been easier to stick it all in the HMI especially as this way would have picked up the translations which otherwise have to be extracted manually...but it's too late now.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum