You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old April 16th, 2021, 11:17 AM   #1
Rson
United States

Ethernet vs Profinet cables?

Is there really any difference?

I see the ethernet are typically colored teal and the profinet green. They appear to have the same pinouts - and I assume a standard CAT5 ethernet cable from Staples would work in either case, correct?
Old April 16th, 2021, 11:18 AM   #2
JRW
United States

Those will work but the shielding is completely different
Old April 16th, 2021, 11:22 AM   #3
Rson
United States

Sorry if I'm not clear:

If I have a teal Ethernet/IP cable and I use it in place of a Green Profinet cable for a Siemens install - there really isn't any difference apart from the color of the sheath, correct?
Old April 16th, 2021, 11:39 AM   #4
Dravik
United States

You want a minimum of Cat5E STP if you aren't using the normal cable(green stuff).

6 or 6e is probably better, and pick stranded or solid based on how it will be installed.

Cable is cheap, installing/repairing it is not.
Old April 16th, 2021, 11:58 AM   #5
NetNathan
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Will wokr fine...
Just make sure you get good quality shielded Ethernet Cable, CAT5E or better.
The "E" means high speed (1000 Mbit / 1 Gbit) cable. After CAT5E, CAT6 and above are already high speed rated.

I use this for my Profinet long runs... where I add good quality ("feed Thru" type) connectors
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc..._cable/q5099-1

For short runs:
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...twisted_pair)#

Last edited by NetNathan; April 16th, 2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old April 16th, 2021, 12:34 PM   #6
mk42
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Officially, I think PN uses a different standard than Cat5/6/whatever to approve cables (because of course they do), but it's still an ethernet cable. Same pinouts, etc. Note that PN cables are typically 2 pair instead of 4 pair, because most PN devices are only 100mbit, but you probably want 4 pair/gig rated cable for backbone stuff.

Realistically, yes, it's probably fine, as long as its shielded.
Old April 16th, 2021, 12:39 PM   #7
Helliana
United States

The green Profinet cable is shielded, has only 4 conductors, uses different colors, and has higher voltage rated insulation than standard commercial CAT5E or CAT6. Profinet cable only supports 10/100Mb connections, and does not support gigabit.
Old April 16th, 2021, 01:15 PM   #8
Jim3846
United States

spring caged connectors don't work with solid wire very well. Vampire type connectors work well with stranded. Keep this in mind with the connectors your using with your cable, it factors in for a good connection.
Old April 16th, 2021, 01:40 PM   #9
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rson View Post
Is there really any difference?

I see the ethernet are typically colored teal and the profinet green.
You can not make a short radius bend with the green cable, all of the bends will need to be a long radius 90's, its like they are made with a stiff PVC jacket

The ends are huge... the middle one is a cat7 the other is a cat5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210416_133558.jpg (106.1 KB, 169 views)
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more...OEM and aftermarket supplies... Aftermarket 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+, new USB to 485 modbus
Old April 16th, 2021, 02:31 PM   #10
Bit_Bucket_07
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk42 View Post
Officially, I think PN uses a different standard than Cat5/6/whatever to approve cables (because of course they do), but it's still an ethernet cable. Same pinouts, etc. Note that PN cables are typically 2 pair instead of 4 pair, because most PN devices are only 100mbit, but you probably want 4 pair/gig rated cable for backbone stuff.

Realistically, yes, it's probably fine, as long as its shielded.
Only the orange and green pair are used for 10BASE-T/100BASE-T Ethernet connections. 1000BASE-T and higher also use the blue and brown pair. The "spare" pairs may also be used for POE (Power Over Ethernet) applications, such as network cameras.
Old April 17th, 2021, 11:13 PM   #11
bill4807
United States

The same with ethercat cable. This could be a green cable as well and the ones i have used have a bend radius that is pretty good.
I have used cables that are called ethercat, for hooking up my laptop to ethernet PLCs.
Old April 21st, 2021, 10:11 PM   #12
RVaughan
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusintraining View Post
...the middle one is a cat7 the other is a cat5
Cat 7 is not an official specification, but rather a manufacturer-declared rating, is that correct?

The foil stamped on the outside of the plug head provides a shield connection. I discovered this one day by inadvertently rebooting a Rockwell HMI multiple times. Apparently the control panel and my laptop had enough of a potential difference to bring the HMI's voltage to an unusable level.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 09:23 AM   #13
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVaughan View Post
Cat 7 is not an official specification, but rather a manufacturer-declared rating, is that correct?
I think you are correct, I think its still pending, but they have Cat8 already listed on Wiki "2000 MHz" thats fast
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_11801
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more...OEM and aftermarket supplies... Aftermarket 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+, new USB to 485 modbus
Old April 22nd, 2021, 10:11 AM   #14
JesperMP
Denmark

CAT5E, 4 wire, shielded, voltage and EMC approved for industrial use.

Equally important is to use good connectors. You need to check that the chosen connector works well with the chosen cable.
The connector must be able to get good contact with the wires and also the screen. The connector should also grab or bite into the cable mantle to get a good mechanical hold onto the cable. If the wire or cable diameters are different than what the connector is designed for, then it will be unreliable and fail in the long run.

If you purchase the combination of connector and cable from a reputable industrial vendor, and that it is stated that the cable and connector are suitable for each other then you should be covered.

Btw. whoever invented RJ45 should drawn and quartered.
Old April 22nd, 2021, 11:15 AM   #15
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperMP View Post

Btw. whoever invented RJ45 should drawn and quartered.
Dont hold back, tell us how you really feel....
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum