Anyone take the UL508A MTR Qualification Exam yet?

Ul 508a mtr exam

i just finished taking it and you either have to know the answers or know where to find the answers. 80 questions 4 hrs to take. It does have trick questions.

I thought UL 508 and TUV from Europe are the same mindset. Because TUV is kind of like UL508 but for engineers in Europe on safety mitigation. TUV had the same type of test but 40-50 questions over 2 hours, but thought TUV had like a 90% correct to pass. TUV was more into the safety protocols on what type of controls would give you the required safety devices to mitigate any getting hurt on a machine.

Just finished the test for the second time and passed. Still did not do as well as I thought I would. I think I understand the 508a requirements ok enough, I just had a hard time with the way some of the questions were worded. 95% of my career for 40 years has been involved around the NEC and its wording and interpretation. I think that was actually a handicap more than an advantage in the UL world.

What literature anybody recommends besides UL508A? Which chapters in UL508A will require more attention?

PaulB

It's pretty brutal. I passed first try, but barely. Took me almost the full 4 hours and that's having a good idea where to look in the standard for most of the answers.

Some of their questions were not worded well.

I highly recommend having a digital copy of the standard and supplement SA so you can search it quickly.

Good luck!

I talked to my UL Field Engineer and he told me that the test was released without any input from the field guys. Most of them are not very happy to be blind sided by the test.

He told me to hold off taking it until he and some other Field Engineers finish the Study Guide that they are working on now. He said it should help with the test. I hope it does!!

It is quite difficult. You need to know how to navigate the standard and know where all the tables are in order to find information fast. The same thing with the supplement SA
Otherwise you may run out of time

FYI - Our panel shop guy talked to our UL rep earlier this week (Chicago - I believe), and was told this new certification standard does not apply to UL certified control panel builds. As I was not in on the phone conversation, I do not know the details, but it sounds like this new certification test is for a specific area of... (searching for the right word - interest? enforcement?)

Gentlemen,
For those who have taken this test, I have some questions-
1.) The online link says that these are allowable materials-
Print or electronic copy of the UL 508A standard
Print copies of materials from UL 508A training workshops
National Electrical Code
calculators
But the email that I received from UL says that these are-
Print or electronic copy of the UL 508A standard
Print copies of materials from UL 508A training workshops
UL.com website
Calculator, pen, pencil and paper.
Now the million dollar question is did you need NEC spec as well?
2.) For those that retook the test, was it the same test or a different test?
3.) What format is the test. Are the questions asked one at a time or do they give you the full test at the beginning? Do they tell you if the question(s) were answered correctly/incorrectly?

Many thanks for the help.

1. NEC code not required.
2. I believe it was the same test for the retest, but apparently there is a test bank, as some have referenced questions I don't recall seeing.
3. Questions asked one at a time, with no feedback as to correct/incorrect. Test is divided into 4 sections, and % correct is given upon completion of each section.

I see that Supplement SA is deleted from UL508A third edition. Is it separate document now?

PaulB