Using FLEX I/O without AB Processor

NevisGroup

I have just got a retro fit dropped into my lap. My customer bought the tail end of a machine that was controlled by an L55 via ControlNet. The front half of the machine ( and therefore the L55 ) went a different direction than the back half.
It looks like most of the back half is in tack. So if possible I would like to save the panels that are all setup with Flex I/O.
However we would prefer NOT to put an AB processor on the machine. (Mainly due to to cost).

Is there a FLEX I/O adapter that I can replace the ControlNet adapters with that would give me a more generic field bus? I am thinking Modbus TCP.
I want to keep this as cost effective as I can. My next step is to rip out all the FLEX I/O and replace it with a a couple of CLICK's with Ehternet and treat them as dumb field I/O via modbus TCP.
( Note: One issue to consider is that all the terminations go neatly into the FLEX I/O Modules. So there is some cost savings to using something with the same form factor and not having to tear up to much wire.)
Thanks

Allen-Bradley does not manufacture any Modbus TCP Flex communication adapters; RIO, DNet, CNet, EIP, Profibus DP V0 and Profibus DP V1 only.

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/IO/In-Cabinet-Modular/1794-FLEX-IO-Modules#selection

Pro-Soft has a couple of Flex Modbus, Master/Slave and Slave adapters, however, they are Serial only.

http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/search?SearchText=1794

You are going to need a Gateway to Modbus TCP no matter the chosen Flex comms adapter.

IMO Pro-Soft is the way to go:

http://www.prosoft-technology.com/c...o.x=0&btn_search_go.y=0&SearchText=Modbus+TCP

Well It looks like replacing it is actually going to be most cost effective.
The Prosoft modules came in at about $900/ each.
Terminator I/O is about the same for 16 in / 32 out.
A CLICK with Ethernet, 16 in / 32 out is about $300.
There five of these racks so this adds up to quiet a bit.
Plus I dont need a processor.

I wonder sometimes how the pricing on this stuff is figuredo_O
[ PS. I am aware of the difference between cost effective and cheap !!!]

If I were competing with you on this, I'd be installing a CompactLogix CPU and replacing the 1794 FLEX ControlNet adapters with EtherNet/IP adapters, and getting on to the far more expensive and productive part of actually making the thing work.

If the customer turned down that bid because the CPU and network hardware were a few thousand dollars more expensive, that's a customer who never planned to pay me anyhow.

Well It looks like replacing it is actually going to be most cost effective.
The Prosoft modules came in at about $900/ each.
Terminator I/O is about the same for 16 in / 32 out.
A CLICK with Ethernet, 16 in / 32 out is about $300.
There five of these racks so this adds up to quiet a bit.
Plus I dont need a processor.

What about all the layout & wiring changes?
The flex IO has a config that all terminals are on the one side
I know nothing about the click, but most PLC's have inputs on top & outputs on bottom.

If I were competing with you on this, I'd be installing a CompactLogix CPU and replacing the 1794 FLEX ControlNet adapters with EtherNet/IP adapters, and getting on to the far more expensive and productive part of actually making the thing work.

If the customer turned down that bid because the CPU and network hardware were a few thousand dollars more expensive, that's a customer who never planned to pay me anyhow.

You should be careful making such statements about a machine that you have never seen and a customer that you do not know.

What about all the layout & wiring changes?
The flex IO has a config that all terminals are on the one side
I know nothing about the click, but most PLC's have inputs on top & outputs on bottom.
I see that I have opened a bit of a can of worms here.

I noted that there will be cost in rewiring / rerouting wires.
The original plan was to scrap everything and start over so I am trying to salvage what I can.
The CLICK series has its wiring on its face. All of the wiring into the current Flex I/O comes from one end of the cabinet. The CLICK's I/O is denser. So none of the wires will be too short. That makes that easy.