PLC starter kit. What to buy?

eponge

Hi all,
So I am trying to get hands-on on PLC and looking for a starter kit, including the programming software. Any idea on an easy-to-use kit? Thank you very much.
E.

Thanks, all. I've been thinking about 2 options: Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1000 trainer for $270 and a CLICK C0-00DD.
Does anyone has the link to the MicroLogix 1000 CPU with details? Are the outputs for Micrologix 1000 sourcing or sinking or both?
@J.B., how much would you think I have to spend to have the whole things set up? What are your recommendation for inputs, outputs I needs. I probably need some switch, and push button, lamps. Thanks a lot. I would prefer some pre-wired kit that I can play and modify.
Thanks very much for your help. E.

Yes the 1200's are very nice I have them too http://www.plctrainer.net/SiemensPLCTrainers.htm and I have the AD click :)

Thanks for the word Mickey...

eponge,
The MicroLogix trainer is very nice, AB has made the software (RSLogix 500 lite) to work with all MicroLogix 1000's and 1100's this is a very good package for someone looking starting out

This is the link to the manual and should answer your questions on the CPU's, (the model with my trainer is 1761-L10BXB http://www.plctrainer.net/MicroLogix1000Manual.pdf

Another option is ebay and buy a used one?? (PLC that is)

welcome to the forum ...

depending on what your ultimate goals are, you might want to snoop around in your local area and find out what brands and platforms are being used there – before you make an investment ... don't get me wrong, ALL knowledge is good knowledge – but it makes a lot more sense to study something that you can use on the job in the future ...

so – do you know anybody who works at the plant down the road? ... or maybe a friend of a friend "in the business" - or something along those lines? ...

Omron also offers a 'Startup Kit' for ~ $199. In some cases an Omron distributor will host a 1 day startup seminar where you get the PLC startup kit (CP1L PLC, software, USB programming cable, power cord) and 3/4 of a day of training, all for the $199 price.

Thanks, all. The problem is that I will be working on a project involving controlling several Yaskawa servo motors with their controllers. There is no trainer kit for it, so I am trying to get hands on experiences with other PLC. I will probably do some more in the future with temperature and motion controls. I studied the theory but really bad at practice. Final thought, MicroLogix trainer?

who is going to be paying for this new project? ... if it's at all possible, I'd STRONGLY recommend that you have the customer/boss/etc. invest in a bare-bones "spare" system that you could use as a bench top trainer ... if necessary, those parts could then be installed in the machinery as the project progresses ...

I don't mean to discourage you, but I think that working with ANY brand of small PLC is probably going to leave quite a few bumps in your Yaskawa learning curve ...

as I said in an earlier post, any knowledge is good knowledge - but make sure that you explore all of your resources before you make any serious investment in time and money ... of course, if you've got plenty of both (time and money that is) then party on ... but ... if "someone" upstairs is expecting you to walk in fully prepared for a gun-fight with a Yaskawa motion control system - then practicing up by knife-fighting with any brand of small PLC isn't likely to meet your needs ...

so ... is there any possibility that the powers-that-be can help you (and themselves) by investing in the material that you need in order to successfully complete the project - in a timely fashion? ...

Final thought, MicroLogix trainer?

I would love to sell you a MicroLogix trainer..... but if I were you, I would not buy one unless you want to learn how to program RSLogix 500.

I have worked with a few Yaskawa's and they are nothing like RSLogix 500

I think you should look at eBay, find a good used Yaskawa complete with everything you are going to work on then like Ron said, go to the money people and tell them that you need this for training and they should be open to it, it should be a fraction of the cost of a new system and you can find a ton of training material/manuals that can help you get it up and running....

Good luck

Thanks guy. So the suggestion is to buy an used Yaskawa system. I haven't put everything together yet but one used actuator with servo motor is about $75. Not bad. Ebay does not have the pieces of my system. Just to be clear that I already have all the pieces of the Yaskawa systems (machine controller -CPU, 5 servo packs or servo controllers for 5 ac servo motors), except the I/O hardware. Which piece do you think I could use without damaging it so I could reduce the cost of the spare system? I guess, I can buy 1 or 2 servo motors, 1 servo pack and use the same machine controller???

Another thought is to get the training from Yaskawa; I don't have a cost yet, but thinking at least $1500.

Timing is more important than money. I'll try to talk my boss into it...

Updated, Yaskawa does not have a regular class on my system and they do not hold an on-demand class for one person so I am back at buying a good used Yaskawa set on ebay.

Any thought on what could not get damaged easily so I can eliminate it from ebay list, servo motors, servo controller or machine controller? Thanks.