Redlion G306 to SLC 5/01

bguinn

I have recently tried to give some fault indications on some of our older equipment. I have run into a problem and was wondering if anyone had any answers.

I have a Redlion G306C000 and a AB SLC 5/01. I cannot get the Redlion to communicate with the 5/01. I also tried a 1747-L30L which is a brick PLC. It will not communicate with it either. I removed the 5/01 processor, and installed a 5/03 processor, using the same drivers. The Redlion communicates with the 5/03 just fine, but will not communicate with the 5/01.

Is the 5/01 or SLC 500 just not capable of communicating for some reason?

Thanks Okie, I did not find that. I figured it should all communicate since it all uses the same linx driver and settings. Oh well guess I will have to figure out something else.

Thanks again.

It's not the first time I have heard about the existence of some subtle difference between the 5/01, 5/02 and the 5/03. I bet Ken Roach could give us more specifics. Most likely there are protocol commands that are used by the Red Lion driver which are not supported by the antique SLCs...

I have a machine with a 5/02 in dire need of a Red Lion HMI, so I will be sure to plan on swapping it with a 5/03 or better if I ever get the chance to upgrade it...

I wonder if adding a 1747 AIC would take care of the problem. I checked the Cmore documentation. They list the SLC 500, 5/01, 5/02, and 5/03 as being compatible with a direct connect cable, or using a 1747 AIC. I'll try tomorrow and post back the results.

You can use the DF1 to DH485 converter and use the DF1 protocol. There are several companies who support DH485 in the HMI products as well.

The reason we cannot talk to this PLC is that it does not generate a token to pass. We have tried to generate the token in the past, but we broke things. We have not tried for several years, as we have not been able to borrow a PLC for long enough to get an engineer to dig into it.

By the way, I have been able to talk to a SLC5/01, but only if I had a PC (connected through a PIC module) in the same network.

Regards,
Dan

Aha! Thanks Dan!

After you posted that, I searched and found this manual:

ControlLogix DH-485 Communication Module

Page 41 shows some very interesting differences between the older SLCs that might be of use to followers of this thread.

Okie, I tried an AutomationDirect Cmore panel and it communicates just fine even to a SLC 500 brick. For what I need, these will work fine. I thought it might also fit your application. They are a little less expensive than Redlion, but also are missing a few frills.

STL???,

Unfortunately at this time we don't have support for the 5/01. It is on our list of things to look at.

Thanks
Jeremy