RSL5000 tags in FTVME

DairyBoy

Well, another totally wasted day with rock(not very)well:
Setup: FTVME 6.10.00 and RS5000 V19.01.00 running in Win7. I've spent hours on the phone to tech support and given up. Problem is that I can only see new (or changed) offline plc tags in the FTME browser if I stop/restart the RS enterprise server. Windows firewall is off. I'm doing the refresh thing but it doesn't. Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit (rant)... They send me links to the knowledgebase and all come out as "locked" you don't have access. YES I DO. So I follow the reasons why links and the page crashes. What a load of /rant off.

Last edited:
The FactoryTalk namespace tag browser is both one of the best and worst things about the FactoryTalk View system.

I'm running on an XP virtual machine and have had excellent FT tag browsing consistency with FTView 6.0 and 6.1.

I realize there are things you'd rather be doing than troubleshooting this subsystem, but I'm curious if you found anything significant in the FactoryTalk logs that Tech Support might be looking at.

For me, it's VMWare now and forever when I use FactoryTalk.

Sorry for your trouble. I am curious too, x64 or x86?

I have been running 6.0 and 6.1 in Windows7 x86 for some time and it is very stable.

like Ken, VMWare baby! it is the only way to fly.

RSL

This new laptop is getting very close to flying too (baby). I just replied having used the link from the email notification (different browser by default for some reason) and the page crashed on send. So, back to the story: Thanks for the replies. It's 32 bit (downgraded at extra cost due to GX developer problems). However I now have xp on it as well so I'm going to reinstall FTVME and RSL5000 on that. The next problem that I think is coming up will be activations. Apparently I have to tell the programs the new path and ip add of the host. That's going to be a real pain as I'm always changing the address for different sites and systems. How about I attach the activations for these two to the virtual drive? In any case, if I want to connect to a V.15 or earlier processor, I have to run RSL5000 in xp anyway, don't I? All sounds very messy. Ken, what and where are the logs? Thanks all.

Well, another totally wasted day with rock(not very)well:
Setup: FTVME 6.10.00 and RS5000 V19.01.00 running in Win7. I've spent hours on the phone to tech support and given up. Problem is that I can only see new (or changed) offline plc tags in the FTME browser if I stop/restart the RS enterprise server. Windows firewall is off. I'm doing the refresh thing but it doesn't. Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit (rant)... They send me links to the knowledgebase and all come out as "locked" you don't have access. YES I DO. So I follow the reasons why links and the page crashes. What a load of /rant off.

A little searching here at this great website would have found you this thread on this very topic:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=67325

I did do some searching. Always the first thing I do. Turned up all sorts of other stuff, tho. Anyway, thanks for the info.

I just have to put my two cents in here. Recently I had a lot of trouble with factory talk and rs logix was just about ready to give up on ra/ab stuff , I despised the thought of paying ransom for tech-connect. As I do this stuff for a living I payed the more than fair fee for the tech support and have found the money very well spent. If I payed myself to just read the tech notes that I needed to complete my setups and my programing I would of spent more money than I did for the tech-connect. Time is Money on my end and I consider it to have saved me both!!
Best Regards, Steve

..and for me too, thanks. :site:

The last little bug that will be sorted with the next release is that the tag browser must be closed/opened/refreshed and not just refreshed, but I guess it's not often that it would remain open during rsl changes (maybe).

The last little bug that will be sorted with the next release is that the tag browser must be closed/opened/refreshed and not just refreshed, but I guess it's not often that it would remain open during rsl changes (maybe).

I don't seem to have this problem. As long as I remember to save the RSL project I can refresh the tag browser and the new tag shows up (even if it was already open when I created the tag in RSL). I did notice that there is a few second lag (~10-20 second) though before the refresh option will work.

Yep, it's a time thing. An immediate refresh doesn't work, but leave it as you say, 10s+ and it does. Seems a long time for a "comms" thing (other than a timeout) but if that's what it takes, then all is well. Thanks to all for the input.