Failure to connect RSLinx to SLC 5/04 Serial... Only choice DH+ now?

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have to compare programs on two SLC 5/04s, and I'm having trouble connecting with RSLinx on the Serial Port. The port was being used by a DTAM, so I unplugged it and connected my desktop and Null Modem Serial Cable and powered it up (as I've done several times successfully on a ControlLogix PLC) I added the driver in RSLogix... RS232 DF1 devices, and used what I consider are the standard parameters for a SLC 5/04...

COM... Matched the COM in my laptop's Device Manager (COM4 in this instance)
SLC CH0/Micro/Panelview
No Parity
1 Stop Bit
Station Num 00
Error Checking CRC
Full Duplex

After adding the driver and browsing with RSWho, I could not see the SLC, only the workstation (PC)

I made sure my com port settings were set the same as the driver... still no luck. I played with Baud rate and Error Checking... still no connection.

So..... I'm starting to fear that the only way I'm going to connect is by using the DH +, round connector, and then whatever adapter I need to use the desktop (RSLogix 500 is only on an old desktop, using Windows 2000 and actual serial ports). Before I start spending the customer's money, does this make sense? I thought I'd be able to use the serial connection.

There is a good chance the serial port on your SLC5/04 is configured for DH485 protocol.
If you have the offline file check the ports configuration.

If it is configured for DH485 then try the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx, you need a real serial port on your PC to use this driver.

If no real serial port then a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter) will do the job.See PDF below.

If you want to connect the the DH+ port then your best bet is a 1784-U2DHP ( USB to DH+ converter) See PDF below.

I think that the RS-232 LED on the SLC-5/04 controller will blink steadily if it's in DH485 mode but physically disconnected. Once it's connected to a DH485 network it will be steady on.

If it's in DF1 mode but disconnected, the LED should remain off.

I agree with Mickey; the DTAM devices were principally DH485, so it's very likely the SLC-5/04 port is also set for DH485 mode.

Thanks, Mickey and Ken!!!

I had to overcome some nuisance issues to get connected. I'll make a few notes for future searches...

1. I had 2 serial ports on this old desktop computer. I didn't know which was 1 or 2, or if either one worked. I made a loop-back with a paperclip by connecting pins 2 and 3. Then I used Hyper Terminal to figure out which port was which. This would be a good way to check the port as well.

2. It was DH485 protocol! I tried adding the driver, but it wasn't working... until today. The difference? I needed to re-start the computer for the driver to install on the computer. When the computer booted today, there was a dialog box pop-up for adding the driver.

The blinking RS232 light was good. It went solid when the DH485 connection was established.

I'm glad you didn't have to go down the DH+ route. The 1784-U2DHP interfaces are very expensive for what they do. Why are they so expensive compared to a 1747-UIC? :unsure:

G.

Yeah, AB went full retard on their DH+ equipment pricing. I think $2400 was the quote I got for DH+ 2 USB.

We've inherited some old machines using an old networked PC with an old 1784-KTXD 16-bit ISA card to communicate with 12 SLC's on DH+ and DH-485. I was looking to get a 1784-U2DHP to do local comms when needed. I can use the 1747-UIC, but just thought it handy to have one knocking around. They're 20 odd years old, so I thought, surely less than 100 earth credits?

Our AB distributor was quoting us €2,700 for a 1784-U2DHP a couple of months ago. :eek:

Of course, it's all shiny and new in a box. :whistle:

Crazy stuff.

G.

EDIT: yeah, 2nd hand's the way to go Mickey.

Last edited: