1769-L33ER Fault From Point I/O

MagMonk

If you were to add a card to 1734-AENT before it is added in the logic, will this cause any kind of controller fault on the remote I/O or the PLC?

The card is not needed right away and will need to be added to the logic at a later date, but could it be installed in the meantime without affecting normal operation?

I wanna say the number of modules needs to match the AENT configured chassis size in its nonvolitile memory, configured via webpage. If there's a mismatch I can think it'll break the I/O connection between the AENT and the PLC.

As far as the PLC, I think it's chassis size in properties MIGHT be able to mismatch the AENT, but you won't be able to add the module to the IO tree until correct chassis size is configured offline.

That's a big "might" I haven't tried, and I can't find a clear answer in the manual. It does say this as a note though.

"If you exceed the adapter chassis size trying to add more modules
than you configured, the New Module selection appears dim and is
disabled. Increase the adapter chassis size to add more I/O modules."

"If you exceed the adapter chassis size trying to add more modules
than you configured, the New Module selection appears dim and is
disabled. Increase the adapter chassis size to add more I/O modules."
The way they word it makes me think it might be okay to have more slots configured in the adapter than in the program, you just won't be able to use them.

The way they word it makes me think it might be okay to have more slots configured in the adapter than in the program, you just won't be able to use them.
So its likely if more are added than configured via webpage it would break the I/O connection for the existing modules that are configured?

There's currently 3 Input 3 Output cards that would need to remain active after the installation of the new cards.

So its likely if more are added than configured via webpage it would break the I/O connection for the existing modules that are configured?
I THINK it only compares actual modules to configured modules at power up. So if the adapter lost power it wouldn't establish an IO connection.

Page 14 of 1734-UM018

I just tried this on my test bench now that I'm back at work. You can add them to the chassis and nothing will fault, but if the AENT is power cycled it will break the I/O connection and give you Connection Request Error: Invalid Output Size.
If you just install the base with terminal block and don't put the card in, the connection stays intact. So this may be a good solution if you just want to wire field devices in advance, then install the cards once you're ready to make program changes.

NOTE: Testing was done with a AENT Series B