Any ideas on how to count number of motor starts across a 24 hour period without using a PLC?

JoeM61

Recently had to balance a booster pump pressure air bladder tank after discovering the air pressure out of balance and wanted to see how big an improvement in pump cycling occurred across a sample period like 24 hours or so. Maybe a current sensing clamp across a contactor coil that counts starts ? If such a thing exists not sure what it's called. Any link to a cheap device would be appreciated.

Buy a cheap Automation Direct PLC, put it on a plastic enclosure, use it has your debug station. Wire it up temporarily, make a couple lines of code, and put the counts on a retentive variable in case of power loss.

It will end up being handy in more situations.

If you have (or can get) an auxiliary contact on your motor starter then wire it to a counter of your choice.

For a similar price you can do as tdoa suggests and get a Click PLC and have more flexibility in terms of using the data you get.

Recently had to balance a booster pump pressure air bladder tank after discovering the air pressure out of balance and wanted to see how big an improvement in pump cycling occurred across a sample period like 24 hours or so. Maybe a current sensing clamp across a contactor coil that counts starts ? If such a thing exists not sure what it's called. Any link to a cheap device would be appreciated.

Here's one from Automation Direct for around $25 USD:
Trumeter electromechanical counter, 4mm 6-digit analog, 24 VDC input

Not sure what your voltage requirements are. The product I linked is for 24VDC input, but they also have models for 12VDC and 115VAC at similar cost. This could be wired through an auxiliary contact on the motor starter or in parallel with the coil itself.

That being said, +1 to the Click PLC recommendation. Once you have something on that machine capable of collecting data, odds are that you'll find other ways to use it and make it worth the investment.

Something like this, battery powered just connect 2 wires across a no voltage contact on your pump, and when you want the info you plug it into your pc usb and you get a graph and spreadsheet of all the times it came on and the run length. Cheap too.

Something like this, battery powered just connect 2 wires across a no voltage contact on your pump, and when you want the info you plug it into your pc usb and you get a graph and spreadsheet of all the times it came on and the run length. Cheap too.
We use those (or something similar) to document 20 hour runs on automation run-offs.

I like this thanks! Could you describe a typical "No voltage contact" on a motor? or an example of how/where you would connect the two leads?
thanks

eg if the pump switches on/off with a contactor, you could have a spare contact on the contactor, you would connect the two wires from the device across this contact. Contactor switches on, two wires from device are shorted, device logs time on, and logs until same contact breaks.

eg if the pump switches on/off with a contactor, you could have a spare contact on the contactor, you would connect the two wires from the device across this contact. Contactor switches on, two wires from device are shorted, device logs time on, and logs until same contact breaks.
I see so when the empty unused pair of contacts close it completes the circuit back to the logger, the data logger then records this.
Thanks!

Exactly, logs the time it happened, how long it stayed on, and repeats each time, gives you a pretty graph and spread sheet, and the software is free too.The unit is powered by a 1/2 AA battery and lasts at least 12 months. Total installation, two pieces of cable across your previously unused pair of contacts.
When you want to download the data, you can pull the cap off, leaving cables behind and the logger comes away looking like a fat usb drive.

Details here:

This is the software, if you want to play .
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lascar_downloads/EasyLogUSB+Installer.exe

Last edited: