Connecting configuration laptop to SLC5/04 via Ethernet

ctrleng14

Hi All,

This should be easy with few options available. Getting back to AB world after a while so bit rusty.

We have four SLC5/04 connected in daisy chain on DH+ network, and DH+ is terminated in Control Logix Gateway.
SCADA is connected to gateway on process control network (PCN).

How can i connect an engineering PC on PCN to program SLC?

Appreciate the response and thanks for your time.

Connection.png

Those DH+/Ethernet IP gateways are a lifesaver! Browsing what you call the process control network in RsLinx, you should see a two DH+ Highway connections (A and B) which would drive down to your SLC connections. I've had more success this way then getting the serial interface to work locally.

What do you have setup in RSLinx? the DH/RIO will need to be configured and you will need to have the ENBT also configured

Can you see the ENBT? can you see the DHRIO? what channel is configured to DH+? drill that channel and you should see the 5/04

GIT is on the right track. Well, at least the track I would follow. If you can ping the ENBT, you can set up an Ethernet driver in RSLinx (EtherNet/IP if your IT policies will let it work; EtherNet Devices otherwise). Expand the ENBT in RSLinx to see the ControlLogix backplane, expand the backplane to see the DHRIO module, expand the DHRIO module to see the DH+ network, expand the DH+ network to see the 5/04.

In my experience at my last place, an out-of-the-box DHRIO module in a Logix chassis will allow simple pass-thru without special configuration (you don't need a routing table) if you're using RSLinx to browse through it. We don't actually have any 5/04s in the building here and only one ControlLogix in a machine so I can't mock up something to give you a demo.

As mentioned, you start by configuring your PC to be able to see the ENBT in the CLX chassis. In RSLinx Classic you can create an EtherNet/IP driver to allow your computer to see the ENBT. You'll need to verify the IP address scrolling by on the front of the ENBT and make sure your computer has an address on the same subnet. For example, if the ENBT were using 192.168.1.10 then your computer would need to use 192.168.1.xx where the "xx" is replaced by a number from 1-254 that is not being used by another device on your network.

There are a bunch or RSLinx Ethernet/IP driver configuration videos on YouTube, but this one linked below also shows him doing something similar to what you want to do. In his video he goes over the Ethernet network to his CLX system and then goes through that to a DeviceNet network. It's not DH+, but it is pretty similar.

OG

Thanks all for your reply, appreciate it.
This is all good till now.

Now next step is connecting to RS Logix and go online.
Not sure we have a latest program, is there an option to download a program off SLC?

Thanks all for your reply, appreciate it.
This is all good till now.

Now next step is connecting to RS Logix and go online.
Not sure we have a latest program, is there an option to download a program off SLC?
You can read the program out of the SLC, but it won't have comments or symbols. All documentation resides in the offline file. Also note that, in the AB world, you UPLOAD from the PLC to your PC and DOWNLOAD from the PC to the PLC.

I would first try to connect using your latest file in RSLogix. If it just connects, then you're good. If not, it detected a difference that may or may not be substantive. In that case, you upload and compare the uploaded file to the saved one using the compare tool built into RSLogix 500.

Try Either Ethernet devices or EtherNet/IP driver. If I know the IP address, I 99.999% of the time use Ethernet devices.
RSLinx-EtherNetDrivers.PNG

The graphic in post #7 tells me that at one time your PC did see that Ethernet device. At some point someone drilled through the module to the backplane and then drilled through the DHRIO module. But nothing displaying underneath the DHRIO tells me that they probably never drilled down into that module. Otherwise we would see Channel A and Channel B displayed.

Now, the red "X" tells us that your computer cannot currently see the ENBT at 10.1.114.210. I would click on the TCP-1 driver to select it. Not the minus sign on the left, just right on the name itself. This will force RSLinx to browse using that driver. You show then see the three squares icon to the left of the driver name animate to show that it is browsing the network. See if doing that gets rid of the red "X".

Now I am a little worried about that TCP-1 driver. The name scares me a little. RSLinx has three driver options for Ethernet. EtherNet/IP Driver, Ethernet devices, and Remote Devices via Linx Gateway. That last one has a default driver name of "TCP-1", matching your example. You don't want to use that driver. That driver is used when you want your computer to connect to another computer over Ethernet. That other computer would be running RSLinx Gateway software, which is a purchased product. That other computer would have drivers configured to allow it to communicate on various networks, like DH+. Your computer would go over the Ethernet to the Linx Gateway and go through that computer to reach devices on other networks. So the other computer is acting as a software gateway.

In your case, you have a hardware gateway. The ControlLogix chassis with the ENBT and the DHRIO performs the same function. But much better. MUCH better. But I don't know that the driver specifically created for the software gateway will allow you to browse through a hardware gateway.

So what I would do...do not remove the TCP-1 driver. Not yet. Go into RSLinx and create a new driver. Follow the directions in the YouTube link I posted in post #5. Once you have an EtherNet/IP driver you should be able to browse over the Ethernet to the CLX chassis and go through that chassis to the DHRIO, then go through that to see the devices on your DH+ network.

As was mentioned, you can UPLOAD the current contents of the SLC back to your computer. If you have the project and it matches the one in the controller, then you can go online without needing to upload. But, if you have an old version of the project, when you try to go online you will receive a message that there is a project file mismatch. Which means that the project you have doesn't exactly match the one in the controller. You will be able to upload the current program and merge it with the documentation you have in your current program. If you do not have any version of that project, you can create a new project when you upload. That project will only have default documentation. Meaning the addresses in the S2 Status data file will have address comments, but nothing else will be documented.

OG

Now I am a little worried about that TCP-1 driver. The name scares me a little. RSLinx has three driver options for Ethernet. EtherNet/IP Driver, Ethernet devices, and Remote Devices via Linx Gateway. That last one has a default driver name of "TCP-1",
THAT'S where I saw that before. I was racking my brain but couldn't remember and couldn't find it easily in RSLinx (didn't try super hard). At my last place, we used a ProSoft Ethernet/DH+ gateway module to connect and it used the Remote Devices driver.

You will be able to upload the current program and merge it with the documentation you have in your current program.
Upload & merge works well and I've used it a lot. The only hitch I've seen with it is when you have rung comments tied to the rung number instead of the output address. If the rungs aren't aligned between what's online and the file you're merging with, the rung comments end up tied to the wrong rung. That can be tricky to fix. Thinking about it further, I don't remember if I've seen that happen with RSLogix 500 but I've definitely seen it in RSLogix 5, which is a lot like 500.

Upload & merge works well and I've used it a lot. The only hitch I've seen with it is when you have rung comments tied to the rung number instead of the output address. If the rungs aren't aligned between what's online and the file you're merging with, the rung comments end up tied to the wrong rung. That can be tricky to fix. Thinking about it further, I don't remember if I've seen that happen with RSLogix 500 but I've definitely seen it in RSLogix 5, which is a lot like 500.
Yeah RSLogix 5 and 500 both had an option to tie rung comments/page titles to either the rung # or the last output on the rung (output is the default). Both methods had their pluses and minuses.

If you attach the comment to the output, then the same comment would appear wherever that output got used. So a Latch and Unlatch would have the same rung comment. If you added a branched output below your existing output, your comment would disappear. But on the plus side, the comment would find the output wherever it might be. If rung 12 is now rung 15, the comment still appears properly.

If you attach the comment to the rung # then every rung can have a unique comment. If you go in and add a rung, the comments will all move with the rung. Since your computer made the edit, it was smart enough to adjust everything. But as joseph_e2 mentions if you upload a program that has been edited by some other computer, your computer won't know to move the comments. So your comments might no longer line up as they should. Because of that, they included the ability to adjust the comments. You could say for example, starting with rung 21 move all comments 1 rung down.

In RSLogix/Studio 5000 they did away with both methods. Now, every rung has a unique identifier (we don't see this) and the comments attach to that identifier. So every rung can have a unique comment and you don't have to worry about the comments getting out of order.

OG