how conect 20 plc slc500 on network cheap

jim-garcia

hello every body
does any one knows how conect 20 slc 500 on network at the cheapest
way , my budget is very short

I try to conect 20 plcs to a pc in order to colect data
from each one separatelly

thank you for help .

First, cheap is a relative term, and seldom used in conjunction with setting up an A-B communications network.

The answer as to how is "It Depends".

A-B has several protocols, DF1, DH-485, and DH+ to name a few. Not all SLC 500 models support all protocols, so you need to identfy SLC 5/03, or SLC 5/04, etc.

type of plcs

thank you for your time

we have 5/01 micrologix 1500 ( with device net card )
fixed 1747 L40C

one more time thank you

With those old 5/01 and fixed I/O controllers your only option is DH-485 protocol. Each of your SLC's will need a 1747-AIC isolator module and the MicroLogix 1500's will need 1761-NET-AIC's.

If you have the choice, I recommend two or more networks with fewer devices on them. Although DH-485 will support up to 32 controllers, the effective speed of course falls with more controllers on the network.

1747-UIC interface modules are the best modern interface for PC's (via USB port) to DH485 networks.

Ken is right as always,
Darn SLC fixed! The AIC is the only way to go... but he is wrong about one item, PLC -1 =AIC #.
Of course AB spec is one AIC per SLC, I beg to differ and have many networks active to prove it.
But, go with the recommended network configuration, that way when you find out it won't work, you can blame it on them.

ps. been there done that

1747-UIC interface modules are the best modern interface for PC's (via USB port) to DH485 networks.

not really!
Sorry Ken that is not correct about them being "the best"

Last edited:
Bitmore said:

not really!
Sorry Ken that is not correct about them being "the best"

I would agree with you Bit, if Ken's statement was simply "best modern interface for PC's (via USB port)", but when you add "to DH485 networks" to the end, then I'd disagree. I love my UIC as a replacement for the clunky ol' PIC... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric

I should add that it really depends on the amount of traffic you expect.

If you're pushing a lot of data in/out of each PLC, then each DH-485 network could bog down to the unusable point with as few as 6 devices on the network.

Just because DH-485 allows you to have 32 nodes does not mean that it has the throughput to support high traffic devices on those nodes.

Also, if you are planning on setting up multiple DH-485 networks and you need to access them all from one central location or share information betwen them, then you're going to need some sort of bridge (ie. a control-logix chassis with multiple DHRIO cards in it)
As you can guess, this can get pretty expensive pretty quick.

You may be better off using an ethernet network with NET-ENI modules instead.

Nix on that, Jimbo and Peter. The 5/01 and fixed SLC's are DH485 only and there is no easy or proven (despite DataLink's product line) way to link DH485 to Ethernet.

I called the 1747-UIC the "best" way to hook up DH485 networks to PC's because it has the lowest incidence of trouble with modern PC's. It's more likely to work than a raw serial interface (PIC or AIC+) and is far cheaper than a 1784-PKTX.