Step 7 communication port missing

fons04

Hi, recently we have upgrade our computer, we had a toughbook with xp pro and now a HP with windows 7 pro. We have installed step 7 microwin and all work fine but yesterday morning we figured out that in PG/SG parameter we don't have the COM option just USB.We don't know what happened but we are not able to communicate with the new laptop, a chance that the old work again.Also, we purchase a usb to ppi cable with drivers, it work with the old laptop but not the new because of that. Someone who already have this problem? Thanks

The com is show in device manager, when i plug the usb i see it and it said that work properly, in my case is com 3 but the problem is i can not select this port on pg/sg parameters, i have only usb on choice option.
Thank you

iKAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

The com is show in device manager, when i plug the usb i see it and it said that work properly, in my case is com 3 but the problem is i can not select this port on pg/sg parameters, i have only usb on choice option.
Thank you

Can you take a screenshot of the COM port in the device manager on the old and new laptop? I'm wondering if you have different drivers on them or something.

I've used generic serial -> USB cables on Windows 7 64-bit for years.

Writed it wrongly :sick:

Windows supports com port but problem is that Siemens step7 v5.5 64bit needs usb cable (old siemens programming cable with com port don't work)

Last edited:
Writed it wrongly :sick:

Windows supports com port but problem is that Siemens step7 v5.5 64bit needs usb cable (old siemens programming cable with com port won't work with Siemens step7 at 64bit windows)

From what fons04 is saying, the device is showing in the deice manager though. Seems odd that Siemens isn't able to use it.

fons04: Can you send me the exact model number of your adapter? I'll look the drivers for it up.

I had same problem before with 6ES7-972-0CA23-0XA0. It worked with XP and win7 32.
After new laptop with 64 bit windows I didn't get cable working anymore. Only USB was available on communication for PG
I buyed newer cable with USB. First it didn't worked either, but after newest USB drivers for cable it have worked and Siemens recognize cable
Even now I can't select any com-port on step7, there is only profinet and USB.

On other manufactures I still use real com-port and usb serial adapters at same laptop.

On the new laptop is windows 7 64 bits, the com6 (JIACHENG) port show that work correctly but no communication (no possibility to choose com6), on the old laptop there is a picture that show the com7 port and communication is ok.
On the old laptop we use microwin v4.0 sp2 and the new microwin v4.0 sp9
Is the usb to ppi cable is an emulator to a com port?
If i can add serial USB cable on assigning parameters in pc/pg parameters, probably it work when choosing USB in local connection, but how to choose that interface?.

Thank you to try to understand me lol

fonction2.png

Attachments

• com ok on old laptop usb ppi com7 (2).bmp
    274.4 KB · Views: 6
From what fons04 is saying, the device is showing in the deice manager though. Seems odd that Siemens isn't able to use it.

fons04: Can you send me the exact model number of your adapter? I'll look the drivers for it up.

Is a USB to ppi cable buyed from ebay with a small cd drivers